Of Little Interest to the Guys Here

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I could find a good stylist whom I could trust, I might try something different someday. I do think I would probably look better with some long bangs, but I want a trained opinion on that first. I am also averse to making appointments and when I want to cut my hair it is usually on a whim. So that doesn't help.

Being 38, I think I can still get away with long hair for awhile. I am growing it out right now and it has gotten long enough to do a long braid over to one side (i.e. Elsa from Frozen). I love that look, particularly on younger ladies. :) I don't have time to mess with my hair, so I like to be able to pull it up, but in a variety of ways. When I am old, I think it would be great to wear it in a bun like Caroline Ingles on Little House on the Prairie. I don't think I'd look good with hair much shorter than to my jaw line and being that my hair is stick straight, it would take copious and disgusting amounts of gooey hair products to make it hold curl or have any bounce or body. So yeah, a big bun piled on the top of my head sounds like the way to go to me. ;)

I've colored it a time or two, always within a couple shades of my original color. I haven't colored it in over a year, but if I get enough sun, it stays blonde enough. If I get dark roots, I will usually color it my "summer" color right around the holidays. An adventurous cut for me would be shoulder length with some long layers. I've had pretty much the same haircut since highschool, sometimes longer than others. Most days I just braid it or in a ponytail since I finally caught on to doing a double ponytail for more volume in the crown and less headaches from the weight of it. On a bad hair day, I'll twist it up with a clip and let the ends come out like a rooster tail, LOL.

@Nyboy , waxing your nose, THAT has gotta hurt! :eek:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy you aren't kidding about vain men! My DH can't pass by a mirror! He used to coat his hair with hair spray, finally got him to stop. Now he gets a good cut and no hair spray!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
So funny, when you make a title that says it is not for guys, I wonder how many fellas here will be all the more tempted to peek? LOL

@so lucky , what do you think the hypothetical cut-off age for long hair might be? I'm glad you now feel free to "let your hair down". :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, @journey11 and @Nyboy, I kind of figured guys would read it, too, but at least I wanted to warn you all it wasn't about race cars or hunting.
@journey11, I used to think around 40 was the cut-off age, but of course, I was under 40 then. As I got older, that cut-off got farther away. And then, there are those women who have always worn their hair in a bun, or braided and wound around. And the idea of wearing a bun when my hair is totally grey sounds kinda cool. I guess I don't really think there is a cut-off date anymore. Except, there are just some women who should not wear their hair long. I guess it depends on her chutzpah. You gotta own it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you look around most women over 60 have short hair. That's why I like mine long, lol. My cousin who is 9 years younger than me has had beautiful gray hair since her 30s. She is always telling me to stop dying my hair because of the chemicals. I tell her I wouldn't be dyeing my hair if I had hair that looked like hers. I am thankful that I have thick hair with some body to it though.

Nyboy, for some reason men can get away with gray hair. My husband has all white hair and it looks good on him. On women it seems to age us, or at least I think it does.

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
My hair is very straight. It will not hold curl. It was thick and full once. Now it is severely thinning on sides and top. I have kept it long (below shoulders) and wear it in a ponytail for most days. In a bun or pinned with fancy decoration for dress up. Being able to comb hair over thin areas is better than short hair that allows scalp to show. (Yes I used to think I would cut my hair short in my old age) But now I think it may always remain long enough to wear up.
I now only wear make up for special occasions and short periods of time as the makeup causes itching and swelling at the lash line. It was really hard going out in public without make up the 1st few times.
I am naturally blonde and in my teens and early twenties I lightened it, I stop coloring my hair 33 years ago when expecting #1 son. The hair around my face has remained very light blonde. I do see some gray coming but it is more white and blends in! LOL

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Come to think of it, both my mom and my MIL have long hair, ages 59 and 61 respectively. My mom has thick, wavy, flame red hair just slightly below her shoulders, and has never dyed it a day in her life. I think she looks young for her age anyway. My MIL has grays and does dye hers, but since she does have a nice full mane of hair, I think she pulls off her long layers really well. She wears it up most of the time, but will wear it all down in loose waves when she's dressed up for a special occasion. I can't imagine either of them with short hair actually. I'd post their pics, but that would probably not be appreciated!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do when I'm dressing up. It makes it shinier and tames the flyaways. Otherwise, I'll just blow it out straight.

Latest posts