Off Your Top Shelf

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kind of on the bottom shelf - out in the cold greenhouse:

IMG_20160219_160057.jpg

They are SV4058NU onions. Don't names like that just delight and whet the appetite?!

Ovation onions apparently have made their final bow ... Shoot. Those were a great sweet onion for storage, as well as being productive. Not available, so I'm scouting for another variety. This one is a white and I don't know if it's considered a sweet but it's supposed to have some storage life to it ...

:) Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red cippolinis have stored great for me right out in the garage with nothing fancy.
They are rather small though, but I think the flavor makes up for the size.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Note to self -- check out red cippolinis onions somewhere that has other items I still NEED to get for this year.

I looked them up and know where to find them, but I'd need to purchase enough items to make shipping a non-issue.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20160307_160000.jpg

Off the top of the fridge and taking a bow.

They don't look like much yet but they are the start of the '16 tomato patch!

I'm kind of proud that they are all heirlooms and all from saved seed in this box ... and they are a jump ahead of some from commercial sources in other boxes :). Of course, that might change ... tomorrow.

They are accompanied by a few pepper seedlings, too!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The problem with berry boxes:

IMG_20160313_132159.jpg
Too many holes ...

You know how pepper seed takes so long to sprout? I sowed some in a berry box and completely forgot any plastic around it for the first 3 days. I had to get the box into some water after the very first sprouts showed up, about a week later. I'm not sure if any more would have joined them, the soil was becoming so dry.

Bagging the box works fine but the extra layer of plastic adds to the difficulty of spying on the sprouts ;). Oh, and it's dark up there on top the fridge early in the AM. Flashlight territory ...

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every box of soil mix and seeds is out of the kitchen!

Every box of soil mix and seedlings will be out of the South Window as of this morning!

The greenhouse furnace has been working fine. The temperature outdoors is 47°f at 5:30. What have I got to worry about?!

smilieinhamock.gif

Oh yeah, the greenhouse is filling and I will have to move some tender plants to a hoop house . There, I'll need to set up the dang bathroom heaters ! It won't be 47° one of these mornings ! It won't even be 37° ! Ah well .... live in the moment.

:) Steve