Official Poll: What is the #1 pest/problem in your garden?

What is the #1 pest/problem in your garden?

• Beetles, worms and other insects

Votes: 39 67.2%
  • Leaf problems (Mold, blight, etc)

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Root problems (Root rot, nematodes, etc)

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Fruit problems (Blossom end rot, etc)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Multiple plant parts (Anthracnose, black rot, viruses etc)

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Small mammals/rodents

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Large animals (Deer, dogs, etc)

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Others

Votes: 12 20.7%

• Total voters

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
1st off :welcome @Kevin B Walsh glad to see you have jumped right in. :)
In the past Japanese beetles have been REALLY bad. So far this year. Not hardly one to be found! YEAH :weee
Always have problems with vine borer in the squash.

I still haven't mentioned those really bad past pests that I haven't seen yet this season. Don't want to jinx myself and start finding them. Sort of figured the frost went far enough down to make popsicles out of each little grub. Here's hoping neither one of us find them a problem this year.

No problem with vine borers in my squash since I never got any planted. (Yes, I know, bad gardener)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seasons, crops and settings.

@Gardening with Rabbits mentioned slugs. I guess those and snails would fit in "other."

Burrow right into tomatoes, just before they are ripe. In the greenhouse, I take serious measures against them every single year. A half inch slug can kill dozens of seedlings in a single night!

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
My bigest problem = Lazy Gardener.
sEm_blush7.gif

Weeding getting behind
Produce left 'one day too long'
Watering AFTER things start to wilt

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It varies here, too, with at least one type of insect each year that explodes in population, and fades away in other years.

The only problem we don't have (for mysterious reasons) is deer. They are 50 yards away on the game cam, but don't come here to eat. There must be something really tasty in our woods.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It varies here, too, with at least one type of insect each year that explodes in population, and fades away in other years.

The only problem we don't have (for mysterious reasons) is deer. They are 50 yards away on the game cam, but don't come here to eat. There must be something really tasty in our woods.

Please find out what that real tasty thing is and send me some.
I am surrounded by many acres of woods, a mile of woods behind my property, a 25,000 acre game reserve across the road (open to hunting), corn fields just down the road... I think they come here for dessert.

I have gotten pretty good at winning each battle, but the fight goes on....

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw my first Japanese Beetles today. :barnieI do so hate those things! Hopefully they will be few as well as late this year. Tomorrow I take the bucket of soapy water with me. Open warfare is the only cure other than the return of winter.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have seen damage on the green beans that I think is Japanese beetle. DH says no. I think I should go out about dusk and see. I really hate having to go out with the bucket. The vines are head high and I usually end up cover in bugs, too. Shudder.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Snails ate the silks off my corn. Snails are everywhere. I pick them off and stomp them. Crunch. Squash borers. :tongue And this year I have the delight of watching the grass in the yard, the garden, and even my beloved crepe myrtle tree blooms turn brown and die from rain yesterday, rain today, rain for the next two days with intermittent scorching sun providing a steam bath reminiscent of stir fry. :rant

Latest posts