Official TEG Poll: What Are Your Plans For 2021?

What Are Your Plans For 2021?

• Buy more garden tools

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Start a garden journal

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Plant a fruit tree/s

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Improve Water Conservation

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Invite local wildlife into your garden

• Use environmentally friendly pesticides

• Start a compost pile

• Declutter my garden shed

• Other (elaborate in the comments section)

• Total voters

Messybun

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oh yikes, my garden plans? Learn everything! I’ve never had much of a green thumb, but I keep trying. This year I want to make key hole gardens in a fence around my grape vine. Hopefully grow enough to can at least a hundred pounds of produce total. Might as well make my goals big. I know for some of the amazing gardeners on here that’s nothing, but for me it’s a lot lol.

Cheaperthantherapy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I’m going to plant a bigger purple hull pea patch this year. Peas are a staple food in the south. We sold some, gave more away from the 2020 garden. Going to plant a bigger Painted Mountain corn patch too. It makes the best cornbread. I have several purple prodded green bean varieties, sent to me by generous members here, that I will plant. I’m looking for my “perfect” canning green bean.
How big is big enough? I also have gotten hooked on heirloom purple hulls peas.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score

Good question. In Arkansas I had a double row of purple hulled peas about 20' long. Two rows about 24" apart and I left a clear area of about 4 to 5 feet around them. They can take up a lot of area. I got enough off of that to eat purple hulled peas every two or three days during a long season and freeze enough to eat off of most of the winter.

Down here with my limited space I plant an area about 4' x 3' and leave a lot of extra room around it. I still have to work to keep turning the vines back in to keep it under control, they really want to spread. I get plenty to eat off of but don't freeze much. I think I have one packet left.

I'm sure @baymule has other ideas, she's growing them for the neighborhood. We each have to find our own way.

Do you need purple hull peas seeds? If you do let me know.

Bay, good luck with your purple hulled beans, may one of them work for you. In Northwest Arkansas my wife was in love with Blue Lake pole beans, she loved the flavor and smell. They grew well for me. But the pod are green, not purple, so not what you are looking for.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh, that's my self sowed chives. I love it there. Nope, sorry not a weed.

Mary
We will never beat Mary @flowerbug .
Don't give up it's fun trying.

I'll send over a few of my weed seed dropping birds, those little ones could get weeds growing in your hidden plant pot's, they have here, if they don't manage it the wind carries them everywhere.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I'm starting over with a brand new garden area. Soil building is going to happen along with growing. Got a start on that this fall with a layer of horse manure spread and a good deep layer of waste hay on top to winter over. Yes, that means a brand new crop of weeds to start off with too, but you've got to work with what you have.
I'm also going to try to retrain myself to grow what we eat most, but am allowing myself some fun in the perimeter outside the fence for annual and perennial flowers. 😍
I get very good hay, but I am always picking out pieces of curly dock with seeds (from the hay) from my horse's stalls. Not every day, but several days/week. Horses won't eat them, which is Good, bc they would eat and plant them.
I throw them in the trash to grow in the dump. I started doing this 3 years ago, and the amount of curly dock growing on my property is way down. Just a thought.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@ninnymary , your volunteer chives remind me of the volunteer petunias I saw last year by our post office. Somebody has been planting petunias in their outside bed for years, and they reseeded in the cracks in the sidewalk. I never KNEW that petunias were that hardy! Or, chives. I LOVE volunteer flowers! :love

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year, my purple hull pea patch was 7 rows 32' long. I put plenty in our freezer, sold several bushels and gave away half dozen bushels. They produced well, fertilized by sheep and chicken compost. I also watered them a lot.

Bay, good luck with your purple hulled beans, may one of them work for you. In Northwest Arkansas my wife was in love with Blue Lake pole beans, she loved the flavor and smell. They grew well for me. But the pod are green, not purple, so not what you are looking for.

I'm looking forward to growing the purple green beans.

Latest posts