Official TEG Poll : What type of Gardener are you?

What type of Gardener are you?

• Farmers

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • Breeders

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Landscapers

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Collectors

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • Others (Please specify)

Votes: 16 30.2%

• Total voters

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It may be some kind of gardening heresy to say that I prefer non-red tomato varieties but, I've just done that so some some may decide it's time to gather firewood whilst I consider atonement.

Such a lack of commitment to red wouldn't have occurred to me a couple of decades ago. As with so many things, it has been an exposure to the thinking, or preferences, of others which has brought my loyalty into question. In this case, DW and I have drifted ...

Her idea back then was that she only liked cherry tomatoes - red. You will soon see how insidious all this was! I learned that there were different red cherries ..! Moreover, I learned that other gardeners had brought golden cherries into their gardens and were committed to them!

As we were trying different choices of these small tomatoes, I began to wonder if her dislike for large reds was just that she prefers a milder flavor and I wondered if color had something to do with flavor. So, my first venture deeper into the tomato garden beyond those golden cherries was with a slightly larger pink ..!

It was a hit with her! About every 5 years, she declares that a different variety is her favorite. She has gone from a pink saladette to a pink beefsteak to a golden saladette. I figure that, a perhaps yet untried, orange or yellow beefsteak may be a new favorite.

I hadn't tried any of these years ago and I had the red stained shirt fronts to prove my unquestioned loyalty. Some of the new-to-us didn't make a favorable impression. They all were interesting.

I don't know what my multi-colored stained shirts indicate. DS brought me a Tikuanyin tea to try. I'm having it with breakfast ..! A breakfast of fruit and "pumpkin" pie. I've used the same pie recipe for well over half a century but the pumpkin is a cross-bred winter squash that only showed up in my garden in 2015 ...

! Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to stick with heirloom seeds as well, though not always easy to do in things like bell peppers and such. My workhorse tomato is Brandywine and I can always depend on them to produce while still being able to save seed. I am trying another heirloom tomato this season called Prudens Purple, just to see what it's all about. I'm not real adventurous when it comes to gardening, though more so than my parents before me.

My mother has always liked Jet Star for dependability and I like them as well, but I'd like to be able to stick to varieties I can reproduce here without buying seed.
Bee, if you want to try a great open pollinated red sweet pepper, I will gladly send you some of my Marconi pepper seed. It isn't bell shaped, but a "bull horn" shape. It has become my favorite, after getting some seeds from @canesisters a few years ago.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just may take you up on that, SL! I've already ordered my pepper seeds for the season, but wouldn't mind trying one I could save seed from and perpetuate on my own. Do they germinate well? I had great trouble germinating ANY pepper seeds last year and others here had the same problem...don't know why.

Support

Deeply Rooted
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow guys! It's really fun to read all of your posts. Keep them coming!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, if you want to try a great open pollinated red sweet pepper, I will gladly send you some of my Marconi pepper seed. It isn't bell shaped, but a "bull horn" shape. It has become my favorite, after getting some seeds from @canesisters a few years ago.
Had them 2 years ago, loved them. Bear like banana peppers and are sweeter. Went to buy some last year, sold out. Are their different types? If so, what is best?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've seen seeds for sale for both red & yellow varieties but I've only ever grown the reds.

They were a welcome change in my garden. I had them coloring up much faster than any bell peppers I've ever grown regardless of what color the bell pepper.

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I put other because like Nyboy, I do it for the pure pleasure of being outside and watching my plants grow. I am mostly about flowers but do some veggies just to keep me 'honest' lol.
Best wishes to everyone for a wonderful 2016

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I garden for healthy food and food security... and because I Love it
Please define " healthy food" and " food security" ... I assume that you mean high in carbs, fruits and vegetables which are great for you . However, due to my genetics and diabeties, eating too much carbs , fruit and vegetables makes me gain weight in leaps and bounds and the sugars sends my blood sugar to overload and close to passing out. Therefore, I have to eat mostly meat and other high in protein foods. :idunno

Latest posts