Okay, We are Toast

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We got rain last night, AND a dusting of snow on the peaks in Glacier. Soooooo much better here today, washed out all our smoke and put a bit of a damper on the fires. Hwy 2 on the south side of Glacier Natl park was closed due to fire activity for a few days, and has reopened. With that highway closed, if you were driving anything longer than 21' and couldn't drive the Going to the Sun road in the park, the detour was 6 hours long. No joke!

I'm sure we'll get smoke again, there are at least 11 major fires burning in NW Montana, some several hundred acres, some are tens of thousands. BUT its a beautiful day today! :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll take snow!

It was wretched yesterday afternoon. Never saw the sun ... Throat sore, eyes red, nose runs continuously .. A blue sky at dawn! . but, I can smell smoke everywhere, on everything.

Thermometer dropped to 48° this morning. Anything to cool the fever ..!

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw this and thought this thread would be a good place to share it.
thank a fireman.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder how people with asthma and other breathing difficulties are able to stand all that smoke. I'd expect you'd have to get out of dodge.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to work for a bluegrass farmer on the Rathdrum Prairie, here. Almost a required practice to get good seed harvests was to burn fields every fall. Wheat stubble was also often burned.

The public complaints and monitoring began to increase as the population increased. A Rathdrum woman with asthma died and it was determined that field smoke contributed to her death.

To take the pressure off the farmers, the ID legislature, in its wisdom, decided that monitoring the smoke would be curtailed. The federal EPA promptly shut it all down.

Anyway, the amount of smoke reminds me of those bad-old-days, 30 or 40 years ago. On a brighter note, only one Chinese city had worse air than Spokane, yesterday ... :rolleyes:

Steve

Latest posts