old clawfoot tub memorial garden... suggestions?

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What you are planning sounds very nice, I am sure that it will become a positive outlet for your DD.

My DD & her best friend got caught sneaking out once....the best friend continued doing it. I had a long serious talk with her one day stressing how dangerous it is anything can happen. I am very sorry that your DD and her best friend had to learn the sad truth. Teens really think that they are invincible and it is so hard to get thru to them.

((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

katnmo

Sprout
Reaction score
The rainbow bracelet gives me the ideas of using the same colors in the flowers and greens. Adding a wind chime might be rather pleasant especially one not so big with lighter tones. I have seen windchimes with a rainbow hangar that was really cute. Careful not to use any kind of limestone in the bottom of that tub. Consider putting straw in the bottom it will eventuall decompose and add nutrients to the mix but a thick layer will be a good start. Be sure to add vermiculite or similar to keep the soil from compacting together too much. Potting soil can really get hard in a large amount. Add a ground cover or space for annuals around the bottom for extra color. Perhaps something beautiful can come of this afterall.

purplebaby7

Leafing Out
Reaction score
thanks for the idea... i will have to look for a wind chime. i like the idea of rainbow flowers as well. i will get straw and manure as well as lots of compost!

my daughter definitely learned something from this but the heartbreak sucks... the girl who died was only 14 and out joyriding with an 18 yr old and 2 other 14 yr olds. but it was not the 1st time she had done this.

however my older daughter and a friend tried to sneak out with a friend, at OUR house ONCE.... they got as far as the back door deck, when they were caught and in deep trouble. my oldest has never done it again but the other friend continues to this day (4yrs later) ....she's a ticking time bomb if u ask me.

Carrol

Leafing Out
Reaction score
For painting the rainbows and such on the tub, you can use Patio Paint, which is a permanent, weather-resistant paint made for outside use. I painted some rocks with it and the painting was still clear and bright after several years. You just have to be careful with it, as it won't wipe off easily if you smear it or whatever.

purplebaby7

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Carrol said:
For painting the rainbows and such on the tub, you can use Patio Paint, which is a permanent, weather-resistant paint made for outside use. I painted some rocks with it and the painting was still clear and bright after several years. You just have to be careful with it, as it won't wipe off easily if you smear it or whatever.
cool thanks!

purplebaby7

Leafing Out
Reaction score
i know this is way off topic but i wanted to share.

we are approx 1 month out from dd best friend's death. the most remarkable thing happened today..... we had really bad passing storms, then as they cleared there was a double rainbow of the brightest colors. being of superstitious nature, i believed it was a "sign" from her to her "bestie" that she was ok and that things would work out....
dd and i took pictures of them and will post and print out for her. it was a day that was really hard for her and this helped.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:hugs I felt so sad to read this post that your DD lost her friend so young. :hugs
There were some wonderful suggestions to make the tub a nice memorial.
You might also think of planting some spring bulbs along the base of the tub to come up as winter is ending. I hope you took the suggestion to place mulch or ground cover or gravel under and around the tub. That would really accent it nicely. I think the wind chime is a beautiful idea.
I hope your DD finds working on this as healing time. I feel gardening is theraphy (sp?). Again I am very sorry for your young daughters lose. Please post photo of the work in progress, I and I'm sure others would love to see it.

Latest posts