Old Fashion Buttermilk Pie

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I'm gonna have to try this recipe. It looks like a variation on the cream pie.
Never gonna use a store bought pie crust. They are STALE. Crusts are SOOO easy.
Recipe for a double crust. It's all 1-3-1. I measured out the tablespoons of water once--Better Homes & Gardens OLD cookbook says 5-7 tablespoons of water/single crust--and 21 (7x3) tablespoons of water measured to exactly 1 cup! In the swamps of LA I would use 15 tablespoons. These amounts are for 3 single crusts, but it works very well for a two crust pie.
Ingredients:
1 cup Crisco or butter (Crisco sells in 1 cup sticks now, so easy peasy)
3 cups all purpose flour
*1 cup cold water (5-7 tablespoons x 3)
salt to taste

Directions:
Put the shortening in a deep mixing bowl along with salt. An 8 cup Pyrex bowl with the handle works well.
Measure flour and pour on top. Hand mix the shortening, salt and flour thoroughly until it resembles coarse oatmeal.
Add water, first 1/2 and mix with a meat fork. Then add the rest.
*NOTE: if it is humid, do not mix in all of the water. If you put an ice cube into the cup of water, you will help keep your crust solid, and that helps when it is hot outside, but keep the same measure of water, ice cube first, THEN water. You will know that you have enough water if it holds together. Too much water will turn it into something like pancake batter. Just be patient when you add the water.
Here is the key: roll the dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper. You may have seen somebody roll out pie crust and keep adding flour. DON'T!!! That changes the recipe.
Some people like to take the ball of dough and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes. That works well, too.
Divide roughly in 1/2, but start with a bigger than 1/2 ball. Hand shape it into a circle.
Roll between the waxed paper in the shape of your pie baking dish going N-S, E-W, NW-SE, NE-SW, peel off the top waxed paper and place on the bottom of the baking dish. The waxed paper will work like interfacing and make the dough stiffer, then you peel off the waxed paper after you place it where you want it. Use a sharp knife and cut the excess.
Make a ball with the other 1/2 and roll to fit the top.
Add your filling, place the 2nd 1/2 of the crust on top, cut to fit and pinch or secure the two crusts in the way that you prefer.
For a single crust, the measurement remains the same
1 part shortening (butter)
3 parts all purpose flour
1 part water (5-7 tablespoons/crust)
You CAN make a crust earlier in the same day, refridgerate it and use it, but I wouldn't wait any longer than that. Freezing, store bought, ages the flavor and I can taste a frozen, store bought crust right away. IMHO, it ruins all of the work you have put into the filling and the buttermilk filling on this thread looks too good to waste on a stale crust.
Just my 2 cents...

Last edited: