Oldie but newbie

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I went to sign up this morning but was told that my email was already in the system so apparently I signed up years ago (I'll find out after I post this and will for the first time see my "join date"). I've gardened on and off all my life, sometimes successfully….other times not so much. It is all a learning experience, right?

A couple of months ago I purchased a 3-year subscription to PlanGarden and since then have been busily planning my 2014 garden. Each time I think I'm done, I do more research and make more changes. For example, I studied a companion planting guide and as a result, rearranged some plants according to whether they do well planted close together or kept away from one another.The plan continues to be "tweaked" but I think I am almost there.

As of today, I'm 10 days out from starting my pepper seeds. I have the little newspaper pots already made up and yesterday purchased popsicle sticks to use as labels. Can we say "Can't wait for Spring"?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, HEChicken! :frow

Sounds like you are well prepared. Planning for spring is a great way to get through a long winter as this one has turned out do be. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome back! Do you think you will actually do what your "plan" says? I make lots of plans and then change them immediately when I am actually digging in the dirt! Maybe you are more disciplined than I am? Good luck with your pepper seeds. Do you have a heat mat?

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This is the first time I've actually made up a plan so we'll see. I certainly HOPE I can stick to it but I'm sure it will require some discipline. We moved two summers ago so last year was the first with the garden here. The previous people didn't have a garden so we had to start from scratch. Our neighbor brought home "the big tiller" from his work to do his own plot and kindly offered to till us a spot while he was at it. Unfortunately, between a lot of rain and snow in spring, and several trips I couldn't get out of, by the time I went to plant, the grasses had tried to take root again and I fought weeds all year. Consequently, though the plot is 16x40, all I was able to manage was various greens (kale, chard, collards) at one end and tomatoes and peppers at the other. So this year I have planned to take up every available space, in the hopes that by planting what I want to grow there, the weeds will be crowded out. We'll see….

No heat mat. Usually I just start them and rotate them around south facing windows. Do you use a heat mat and how big a difference does it make?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad your back HEChicken. Is that your garden in your avatar? Sure looks nice and big. You better watch out, I'm one of those that gets jealous when I see that much gardening space! Nothing is planted and it already looks lovely. Can't wait to see pictures. :)

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi HEChicken :frow!

Now you can do a search of your user name and see just where you left off in 2010.

I remember thinking then that March 29th might be a little late to start tomato seeds in zone 6 . . . . . Actually, I remember nothing of the sort ;)!

One thing that a plan does for me - & mine is just based on a garden journal I kept for several years - is that it keeps me on a schedule. People say they follow one sign or another. The sun in the sky is about the best sign I can think of and the calendar helps us know where it is, when.

Welcome back :).

Steve

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind welcome!

Steve - I agree about the plan and hope it will help me stay on track. From past experience I know it is easy to get overwhelmed when everything seems to need to be done at once (plus most all of us have other responsibilities besides the garden and sometimes the best-laid plans get side-tracked due to other obligations). I am hoping that this year, being able to keep a log/journal via the PlanGarden program, as well as keep track of what I've harvested when, will help me to more or less keep up on things.

Mary - I wish. The avatar pic is my motivation. My plot is probably not quite as large - it is 16x40 - but I've never been as organized as in that picture. Hopefully this year I will start with something that looks similar though :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome HEChicken!! I love people that can make and follow a garden plan. I garden by the shotgun approach. I plan.......think things out........and then things get a little haphazard.....and then things just kinda splatter like a shotgun blast. :lol:

Latest posts