One Alaskans greenhouse

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am interested in the aggressive mold growth you get with such little humidity. Here in Bama the humidity is so high for so long that it seems like you actually have more aggressive mildews than we do. Maybe our molds are just slow. They build up here to be sure but the naturally arid air up there is not something I have thought about relative to growing vegetables.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am interested in the aggressive mold growth you get with such little humidity. Here in Bama the humidity is so high for so long that it seems like you actually have more aggressive mildews than we do. Maybe our molds are just slow. They build up here to be sure but the naturally arid air up there is not something I have thought about relative to growing vegetables.

i think you misread the post as they're running a dehumidifier? some parts of Alaska are quite humid as they fall in the coastal rainbelt and mountain range capture of the storms as they come in (like parts of Oregon and Washington).

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i think you misread the post as they're running a dehumidifier? some parts of Alaska are quite humid as they fall in the coastal rainbelt and mountain range capture of the storms as they come in (like parts of Oregon and Washington).
Nope even then its drier than down here outside anyway. Well I guess specifically its warmer down here. A dehumidifier puts off heat. We have a hard time with tomatoes because of that heat being past the range they like. My fascination with fungal pathogens has me wondering at the differences.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I’m with @flowerbug and was wondering which one of us got this wrong? When we have period of rainy, drippy weather that last 3-5 or more days at a time it gets quite wet in the greenhouse. When that happens the Powdery and Downy mildews ”express themselves” in a bigger way. The de-hi is working to keep the Relative Humidity DOWN to 65%, otherwise we would be overrun with “fungal pathogens”
Yes, it makes heat and that’s a good thing because it’s helping save me fuel oil money by helping out the toyo.
I been to Bama, Georgia, N&S Carolina and grew up in Miami as a kid and understand your humidity. This isn’t like that.

When we have “a drippy spell” the plants suffer as much from light depravation as anything else, sorta like in the middle of one of your hurricanes without the wind and much colder.

Here’s a picture of my one tomato plant and “a portion” of what she produced this year. This is only possible because of the greenhouse and good moisture control.
for some perspective, that plant is 12 ft wide, 12 ft tall and 8 ft thick from front to back.

Attachments

• EB2ABD4E-BF5A-42DE-A85D-11ADCFA32D32.jpeg
    EB2ABD4E-BF5A-42DE-A85D-11ADCFA32D32.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 206
  • 5D59BE4B-182F-44AA-BBE7-4EFE2BAD2F9C.jpeg
    5D59BE4B-182F-44AA-BBE7-4EFE2BAD2F9C.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 9074F632-94AF-4048-8011-E7D71AF5960E.jpeg
    9074F632-94AF-4048-8011-E7D71AF5960E.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 26FCB24F-CA13-4DDC-AF6C-FC8312A20822.jpeg
    26FCB24F-CA13-4DDC-AF6C-FC8312A20822.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 360326E7-0063-47DD-B52B-F02D77C25510.jpeg
    360326E7-0063-47DD-B52B-F02D77C25510.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 198
  • FFC86A91-EA7C-4938-AE8F-07AC7907DEF8.jpeg
    FFC86A91-EA7C-4938-AE8F-07AC7907DEF8.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you @catjack1975 for the “follow”, makes me feel special!
i’m glad so many folks like those Alaskan reality shows but the reality is they’re not all that real! Most of you never have the opportunity to see Alaska first hand or you’d notice how much like everywhere else we really are. We do have scenery, which is pretty special and a big draw for folks but apart from that we have our share of domestic violence, drug and alcohol abuse and all the other plagues.
From my perspective the uniqueness to Alaska is that scenery, the fishing and a few other tourist related things you cant experience in the lower 48. However 85% of our state revenue comes from oil extraction taxes, the commercial fishing, tourism, logging and mining bring up the rear. It’s a real nice place to live for about 3-4 months a year, the rest is kinda ho hum.

Here’s a picture i took the other day just going to town, looking at Pioneer peak over toward Palmer.
Dont be misled by the lack of traffic on that road, during the morning and evening commute all lanes are full and there’s little room to pass as the masses make they’re way back and forth to Anchorage for work.
when i worked on the slope i only went to work 1 day a month and came home one day a month, those were the hardest days of my hitch, fighting the traffic, security at the airport etc!

Attachments

• 39BEFD74-9702-42A4-A113-ABD62622B3E8.jpeg
    39BEFD74-9702-42A4-A113-ABD62622B3E8.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m with @flowerbug and was wondering which one of us got this wrong? When we have period of rainy, drippy weather that last 3-5 or more days at a time it gets quite wet in the greenhouse. When that happens the Powdery and Downy mildews ”express themselves” in a bigger way. The de-hi is working to keep the Relative Humidity DOWN to 65%, otherwise we would be overrun with “fungal pathogens”
Yes, it makes heat and that’s a good thing because it’s helping save me fuel oil money by helping out the toyo.
I been to Bama, Georgia, N&S Carolina and grew up in Miami as a kid and understand your humidity. This isn’t like that.

When we have “a drippy spell” the plants suffer as much from light depravation as anything else, sorta like in the middle of one of your hurricanes without the wind and much colder.

Here’s a picture of my one tomato plant and “a portion” of what she produced this year. This is only possible because of the greenhouse and good moisture control.
for some perspective, that plant is 12 ft wide, 12 ft tall and 8 ft thick from front to back.
Ha! A tomato tree!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you @catjack1975 for the “follow”, makes me feel special!
i’m glad so many folks like those Alaskan reality shows but the reality is they’re not all that real! Most of you never have the opportunity to see Alaska first hand or you’d notice how much like everywhere else we really are. We do have scenery, which is pretty special and a big draw for folks but apart from that we have our share of domestic violence, drug and alcohol abuse and all the other plagues.
From my perspective the uniqueness to Alaska is that scenery, the fishing and a few other tourist related things you cant experience in the lower 48. However 85% of our state revenue comes from oil extraction taxes, the commercial fishing, tourism, logging and mining bring up the rear. It’s a real nice place to live for about 3-4 months a year, the rest is kinda ho hum.

Here’s a picture i took the other day just going to town, looking at Pioneer peak over toward Palmer.
I did not know there was an alert to a follow. Love the tomato tree.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

Do any tomato plants ever go outside? Do yo have nasty pests that attack your plants?

Latest posts