One Alaskans greenhouse

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow @meadow , you're observant! Yes some of the hoops are rounded and were bent with the hoop bending tool that Johnny’s seeds sell. It came with good instructions and will bend hoops for 3,4,5 or 6 ft wide beds. They are used for lots of stuff in my garden.

The more rectangular ones were bent with a standard conduit bender. They are sheltering the onions and need ent be all that tall.

The cool thing is; once you have them they last forever. Depending on the time of the season my beds will eventually evolve to where potato’s, beets, carrots and parsnips will have hoops and side rails, keeping everything contained so a mower can pass between the
beds. I have both poly and ag-fabric covers that get used regularly. This is my first year using a fabric cover over the onions and so far they’re my best onions to date. What im attempting to do is keep,the fly’s that lay the larva that bore into the onions; at bay. It seems to be working.

The blue clips come from Bootstrap farmer.com; and are made for this purpose. I’ve never broken one and on a scale of 1 to 10 they are a ”34” in comparison to anything else ive used!
Im also a fan of they’re 10/20 trays and pots!

Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
All the effort is starting to show, and we’re very thankful for it all.
Greenhouse is making a little something every day and both the Chocolate mint and the Anise Hyssop have given us the first cutting. There will be no tea shortage this winter!

Attachments

• 9CCA63B5-4BC9-42E2-8531-E257E805A796.jpeg
    9CCA63B5-4BC9-42E2-8531-E257E805A796.jpeg
    489.4 KB · Views: 80
  • CA6B870C-A83E-4EAB-B80E-52EAC462BBD6.jpeg
    CA6B870C-A83E-4EAB-B80E-52EAC462BBD6.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 7AD66AB7-0B52-4806-87D6-B159747ADCEB.jpeg
    7AD66AB7-0B52-4806-87D6-B159747ADCEB.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 78

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow @meadow , you're observant! Yes some of the hoops are rounded and were bent with the hoop bending tool that Johnny’s seeds sell. It came with good instructions and will bend hoops for 3,4,5 or 6 ft wide beds. They are used for lots of stuff in my garden.

The more rectangular ones were bent with a standard conduit bender. They are sheltering the onions and need ent be all that tall.

The cool thing is; once you have them they last forever. Depending on the time of the season my beds will eventually evolve to where potato’s, beets, carrots and parsnips will have hoops and side rails, keeping everything contained so a mower can pass between the
beds. I have both poly and ag-fabric covers that get used regularly. This is my first year using a fabric cover over the onions and so far they’re my best onions to date. What im attempting to do is keep,the fly’s that lay the larva that bore into the onions; at bay. It seems to be working.

The blue clips come from Bootstrap farmer.com; and are made for this purpose. I’ve never broken one and on a scale of 1 to 10 they are a ”34” in comparison to anything else ive used!
Im also a fan of they’re 10/20 trays and pots!
Thank you so much for the info! I too am a fan of Bootstrap Farmer. I see that they are now selling pipe benders, although the smallest is for a 4 foot bed.

Oh dear! I seem to have fallen down a rabbit hole while checking for those clamps and benders! haha! It's probably an hour or more since I started writing this! 😅

Are you using 1/2-inch conduit for your hoops? It hadn't occurred to me that the 3-foot bender could be used for wider beds. Johnny's had the instruction manual online and it is very helpful. I'm glad that you mentioned it!

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, 1/2 inch is all ive used. Tried pvc once, what a flop. Galvanized steel (standard) conduit is the easiest to work with, the strongest and certainly the longest lasting. During the off season they get hung on the border fence to keep them out of the snow that will come.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
During the off season they get hung on the border fence to keep them out of the snow that will come.
My First Thought was about my temporary hoop house falling down during 3 different Spring snowstorms ~ flop :). I once tried a double layer of plastic film with pvc hoops above & below. The top hoops had a horizontal 3/4" pipe with 4 Way/3 Way fittings. Tooo Much Bother!

In following seasons, the 3/4" pipe was moved to a shed-attached hoop house with a horizontal 2" by 4" board running from shed to window frame. It was a stronger set-up.

Steve

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, 1/2 inch is all ive used. Tried pvc once, what a flop. Galvanized steel (standard) conduit is the easiest to work with, the strongest and certainly the longest lasting. During the off season they get hung on the border fence to keep them out of the snow that will come.
Thank you so much! 🥰

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, we’re at the pinnacle, and will start losing daylight in a couple days! For me the spring increase is more obvious than the decline.
Anyway; i got up at midnight last night and took this picture out the back door for your amusement! There is a wee bit more darkness between midnight and 2:00 am; after which it’s busy getting light again!

Attachments

• 4DC5C04B-26C8-45CB-B9FC-C756012FC63E.jpeg
    4DC5C04B-26C8-45CB-B9FC-C756012FC63E.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 70

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The wood is up and the generator has been commissioned. Tomorrow ill put the roofing on and cross this project off the list! So far this year i’ve fenced the fruit trees, built a new lettuce bed, raised the existing strawberry bed and populated it with ever-bearing stock, expanded the Comfrey and Self Heal beds and completed the generator project😊; now i can move on to more “playful projects”!

Attachments

• C5E1DC62-4416-41E1-AD99-6E2C99EA7DC8.jpeg
    C5E1DC62-4416-41E1-AD99-6E2C99EA7DC8.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 70

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You may not be interested in our weather prediction but i thought the solstice chart might be. Quite a difference from summer to winter daylight And as large as Alaska is there’s quite a bit of differences locally too.

Latest posts