One Alaskans greenhouse

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Coming in this afternoon, i encountered this fellow. Some sort of Humming bird moth; i’ll only see a couple in a whole season.

if you can; scroll up and check out the wing detail! God did that.

Attachments

• IMG_0745.jpeg
    IMG_0745.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0747.jpeg
    IMG_0747.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our Spring/Summer has been quite wet and cloudy so far and it’s having an effect on everything. It’s all there; just really late by comparison.
That Celebrity i posted earlier is just now ripening as are a couple of the others. The Mat-su express is setting nice fruit but they’ll be a while yet.

The Stupice and Morovsky div are giving fruit regularly now And the Asparagus has done especially well this year. After these last few the bed will be dressed well and left to fern.

Attachments

• IMG_0765.jpeg
    IMG_0765.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0766.jpeg
    IMG_0766.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0764.jpeg
    IMG_0764.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 55

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broccoli and Cabbage are heading; Peas are coming along real nice and the Kale/Chard is completely useable. Potatoes zoomed right thru they’re second hilling due to inclement weather. Im sure they’ll be fine as i don’t usually hill them at all.

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpeg
    IMG_0775.jpeg
    462.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0772.jpeg
    IMG_0772.jpeg
    526.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0770.jpeg
    IMG_0770.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0769.jpeg
    IMG_0769.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
In @AMKuska 's Bird thread the varying numbers of this or that feathered critter year-to-year is mentioned. I was noting elsewhere how lacewing bugs have gone missing from the backdoor light in recent years. They can be out there at night in ridiculous numbers some years.

I'm pleased to say that they are back in 2023. I haven't seen many aphids this year for them to prey on. I'd guess that aphid numbers are not the entire reason for the varying population of lacewings but, of course, it is likely to have something to do with it. I blamed our unusually hot Summers, especially a couple of years ago. Maybe.

Garden pests. Potato bugs can be a serious one. We have lots of eggplant this year and the potato beetles can devastate those plants. I found 7 on one plant about 2 weeks ago, one bug on another. I've tried to check those and the potato plants carefully each garden visit. Nothing on very healthy potatoes in '23! I can't squish them all IF they show up everywhere but ... Maybe it's the number of House Sparrows in the big veggie garden. There seem to be more each year. I had better just realize that keeping-up with how all these living things fit together, interact together - is very complex.

There have been a few dragon flies noted. Late in the season, I especially enjoy how they will "patrol" in some determined path, back and forth, back and forth. Guard Duty 👮‍♂️.

Steve

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The smaller tomato’s are keeping us tomato’d up so i placed a tray under that spey of Celebrity’s incase one drops. The curiosity is in the flavor difference between red on the vine and really red and softening, on the vine. Meanwhile, Stupice/Morovsky div and the Mat-su express have us in that “hey; you want some tomato’s“ place.

”The Moose trap”, one of several garden upgrades this year will give me a “close to the back door“ bed for salad and daily use herbs.
The far bed contains Horse radish, Self Heal and Rhodiola. The near bed is being populated with Cilantro, Lettuce, Kale etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0783.jpeg
    IMG_0783.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0784.jpeg
    IMG_0784.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0789.jpeg
    IMG_0789.jpeg
    335 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Latest posts