One Alaskans greenhouse

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The smaller tomato’s are keeping us tomato’d up so i placed a tray under that spey of Celebrity’s incase one drops. The curiosity is in the flavor difference between red on the vine and really red and softening, on the vine. Meanwhile, Stupice/Morovsky div and the Mat-su express have us in that “hey; you want some tomato’s place.”

”The Moose trap”, one of several garden upgrades this year will give me a “close to the back door“ bed for salad and daily use herbs.
The far bed contains Horse radish, Self Heal and Rhodiola. The near bed is being populated with Cilantro, Lettuce, Kale etc.
Very cool salad bar set up! What's the taste difference between 'red on the vine' and 'red & soft' on the vine?

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, @heirloomgal once i get it organized (next year) it will be quite useable.
We ate that big Celebrity This evening, without fanfare or ado. It was great; but then that’s the reason we grow them year after year. I saw no real difference in leaving it hang. By seasons end we’ll have picked a favorite early tomato from the other 3.
Being in the Nightshade family and us being O+ blood type; we only eat them 2-3 times a week. We do can a few cases of sauce too.

I noticed today; we’ve got several heads of brocilli ready now.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Even though the pea’s are nearing the top of that 10ft. net; production is meager at best. We’re suppose to break out of this perpetual wet cycle next week and i’m hoping all those flowers will become fruit when they are introduced to the Sun!
The first broccoli is always a treat too.

And while the garden feeds both my soul and my belly sometimes a man’s gotta have some cheesecake! That’s a big slice on top of the Toyota. This was a shakedown cruise for a new composite boat and my adventure was as satisfying as good cheesecake🙄

Attachments

• IMG_0827.jpeg
    IMG_0827.jpeg
    372.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0828.jpeg
    IMG_0828.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0829.jpeg
    IMG_0829.jpeg
    351.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0826.jpeg
    IMG_0826.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 58

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We had a couple extraordinary days last week and spent some time dining in the garden. Each time we “dine out” we like to take in a movie too. Yesterday’s feature attraction was “cool little bird” staring this playful little what ever it is. The pleasantness of the afternoon left me exhausted, resulting in a lawn chair nap!

This Mat-su xpress tomato was on the menu along with our own cukes, lettuce, broccoli, parsnips and leeks. After so much drippy, my Wife really enjoyed being able to sit out for a bit.

Its raining again this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0840.jpeg
    IMG_0840.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0836.jpeg
    IMG_0836.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 49

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Using cattle panel's, i recently built a user friendly moose guard for the Asparagus and had a chance today to open it up to weed and fertilize.
The mix i’ve settled on for things that get “extra” is 24 Oz. of my fermented rabbit urine and 2 oz. Of liquid kelp per 2 gallon watering can; which seems to be working fine and tolerated well.

They did pretty well this year, making me very excited for next year!

Attachments

• IMG_0842.jpeg
    IMG_0842.jpeg
    460.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It’s a very rare day indeed when we see 89 deg! Then it rained all night and is still raining.
The last of the broccoli was taken and they’re slot prepped for the replacement plants which will go in latter today. Most years we’ll get a second batch but this is not like most years so we’ll see.
While working out, this guy (or another one like him) showed up again.

Couldn't leave out the Celebrity, which is certainly keeping up with our tomato usage.

In spite of a crazy season weather wise; The Lord’s been good to us and i believe we’ll end up with everything we need (or would like to have) by seasons end.

Attachments

• IMG_0876.jpeg
    IMG_0876.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0870.jpeg
    IMG_0870.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0873.jpeg
    IMG_0873.jpeg
    350.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0872.jpeg
    IMG_0872.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0871.jpeg
    IMG_0871.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 36

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I looked at the rain guage yesterday about this time and it shows an honest 1 1/2 inches! That’s after 2 days of slow steady rain; and it’s still raining. It caused one of the pair of Parsnip’s im growing out for seed to lodge but other than that there doesn’t appear to be any damage.
While out, i took a quick trip past the peas and was greeted with the heaviest set of peas we’ve had yet. Top to bottom, aide to side and front to back peas!

Attachments

• IMG_0879.jpeg
    IMG_0879.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0880.jpeg
    IMG_0880.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 47

Latest posts