One Alaskans greenhouse

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
yeah, the upper plains can be brutal with the cold, there's nothing stopping that cold air from the north once it gets howling. living in upper Michigan those years ago i learned very much to appreciate the buffering effect the lake could have on the temperatures until later in winter when it would freeze over. lake effect snows were the trade-off. i'm quite ok with snow. :)
I have only been to Michigan once, in 2013, for a business trip to Detroit and a customer factory near the border. That's my first time to experience a really low temperature. I remembered that I stayed outside the hotel for just a few minutes, and my fingers felt hurt.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tell people, “this is like Miami, next to where we use to live”; referring to Alaskan weather.
One winter we went 90 days straight where the daytime high was below zero. During that time; on one occasion all the mercury was in the bulb and the lowest number was -40! Below that number it was still a 1/4 inch to the top of the bulb.😳
And yet that is your paradise.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One winter we went 90 days straight where the daytime high was below zero.
🤣 That's us for 6 months! Though to be fair, in good years it can hover around zero in very early winter & late spring.

North Dakota is very beautiful. It would be a nice place to visit someday. I've learned so much here about the differences in weather between CA and US. It really is amazing to me how much extreme weather is down there in terms of flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes. I've never experienced any of these things. The flooding is really something, after reading about North Dakotas biggest lake breaching its usual parameters. The dangers to boaters in those waters would be huge.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
🤣 That's us for 6 months! Though to be fair, in good years it can hover around zero in very early winter & late spring.

North Dakota is very beautiful. It would be a nice place to visit someday. I've learned so much here about the differences in weather between CA and US. It really is amazing to me how much extreme weather is down there in terms of flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes. I've never experienced any of these things. The flooding is really something, after reading about North Dakotas biggest lake breaching its usual parameters. The dangers to boaters in those waters would be huge.
Hover around zero....yay! hahahahahaha

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Canadian grandfather spent only one winter in Manitoba before moving to Vancouver.

His older brother lived there the rest of his life.

For some reason, Grandmother’s 2 brothers moved to Edmonton altho one returned to the States after he retired.

Steve

but it's a dry cold! while that may be a bit of a joke for those who live in the arid SW who have to deal with the 120F days and they keep repeating this line (in a bit different form) it is also true about the cold. the more dry it is down to the dewpoint it sure doesn't feel as chilling, but once well below freezing it can be a real danger to have to keep breathing in that dry cold air. i do keep my thick face coverings handy just because my throat and lungs will not like cold air, but also because they help moisturise what you breath in by the moisture you've breathed out previously and that is a big help and a notable difference.

it is always quite a lot of fun to come in from shovelling or being outside when it is windy and having your face coverings completely caked with ice and snow, but that means they've been doing their job and you don't have to thaw out snotsicles.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Machinist can be a little quirky sometimes, we tend to focus on the details, sometimes to a fault!
Case in point, this thread, when i mentioned the longer; lower cold spell we are currently experiencing and comparing it to where we use to live; we started to hear from @heirloomgal and her tale of woe which is FAR worse than our‘s.
Now, don’t get me wrong; we love Alaska and will remain here till we are just, remain’s! However, neither of us get all excited about the weather.

That changed today when we finally broke zero by 1/2 a degree! Did i mention quirky?
Yep, today we were not a whole degree but just a smidgen above zero and it felt pretty good. Ruthy got a kick out of that and was ribbing me about degrees and tenth’s of degrees!

It’s too early in the winter to be this bored or desperate so i’ll just go back to working on my numerous shop projects and wile away the time till a real change comes along!😳

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Machinist can be a little quirky sometimes, we tend to focus on the details, sometimes to a fault!
Case in point, this thread, when i mentioned the longer; lower cold spell we are currently experiencing and comparing it to where we use to live; we started to hear from @heirloomgal and her tale of woe which is FAR worse than our‘s.
Now, don’t get me wrong; we love Alaska and will remain here till we are just, remain’s! However, neither of us get all excited about the weather.

That changed today when we finally broke zero by 1/2 a degree! Did i mention quirky?
Yep, today we were not a whole degree but just a smidgen above zero and it felt pretty good. Ruthy got a kick out of that and was ribbing me about degrees and tenth’s of degrees!

It’s too early in the winter to be this bored or desperate so i’ll just go back to working on my numerous shop projects and wile away the time till a real change comes along!😳

sometimes i think there is a possibility of miscommunication because 0F is much different than 0C. :)

Latest posts