One Alaskans greenhouse

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One month ago we had a lot of snow but the heat was on in the greenhouse and we populated it on the 20th. Now 30 days later things are kicking in and it won’t slow down for 3 more months.

Interesting trusses in your greenhouse. Was the green house a kit or did you build it yourselves?

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have a local outfit who will build them on-site; for a premium. Due to the location this is what i had them do. They came on a good day in March one year and built it is 3 hours! I had put down 4x8 sills in the fall so the site was prepped. A lot of it was pre-fabed before hand.

Attachments

• IMG_0774.jpeg
    IMG_0774.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 47

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have a local outfit who will build them on-site; for a premium. Due to the location this is what i had them do. They came on a good day in March one year and built it is 3 hours! I had put down 4x8 sills in the fall so the site was prepped. A lot of it was pre-fabed before hand.

Very NICE 👍 our place is on a hill, it's very windy here. I was looking at prefab steel frame green houses. I doubt one would last very long with our wind, because the steel is thin guage.

I also like the corner bracing shown in your picture. I would most likely do the same bracing for stability. What initially caught my attention is the visible nail plate on your A frame trusses, they look sturdy. Setting the frame on 4x8 sill is something I hadn't thought about but makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing some details.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have pretty good wind at times and i’ve never had a concern.
This vendor builds a ton of these and a similar storage building in about a dozen configurations and does a pretty good job. I got my money’s worth, however they would have gotten some more of it if they would be open to options! I was willing to pay for triple pane poly which they wern't interested in. I would have liked more height, nope and a couple other smaller items.
i’ve since made numerous upgrades and at 72 will just continue enjoying it as I'm not about to make any more changes.
i ripped out the benches and built the planter boxes and replaced some of the internal supports with 1x2 rec tubing to have greater clearance for walking around.
overall im real happy with it. I could have built it my self but it would have gone much slower; sometimes just throwing money at something is not a bad idea!
Thanks for the interest.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wanting to give the electroculture project an honest test; i purchased a guass /emf meter today. Like any other antenna these in the garden will be adjustable and with out a test device how would you know where it works the best? At this point i have no standard but with this meter i can easily establish a base line and adjust this way or that depending on how plants respond.

It looks pretty cool too and will make my “polar magnetism of the earth line” easier to sell if this turns out to be simply entertainment. I all ready have a brix meter to measure ph & sugar content of garden produce and can see these two meters complimenting each other.

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have pretty good wind at times and i’ve never had a concern.
This vendor builds a ton of these and a similar storage building in about a dozen configurations and does a pretty good job. I got my money’s worth, however they would have gotten some more of it if they would be open to options! I was willing to pay for triple pane poly which they wern't interested in. I would have liked more height, nope and a couple other smaller items.
i’ve since made numerous upgrades and at 72 will just continue enjoying it as I'm not about to make any more changes.
i ripped out the benches and built the planter boxes and replaced some of the internal supports with 1x2 rec tubing to have greater clearance for walking around.
overall im real happy with it. I could have built it my self but it would have gone much slower; sometimes just throwing money at something is not a bad idea!
Thanks for the interest.

I have a sawmill, so doing it myself is kinda what I do, when it comes to wood stuff.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
All 4 tomato plants seem to be doing well with my new arrangement, the Stupice shown now has 25 tomato’s on it and the lower spey is starting to ripen a couple. I don't recall “my earliest fruit” from past years but it certainly wasn't mid June. My standard (Celebrity) has some fist size tomato’s that look like they’ll be ready in another 10 days. Of course; if the perpetual cloudy weather would clear it would help.

Attachments

• IMG_0638.jpeg
    IMG_0638.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0640.jpeg
    IMG_0640.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 51

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bee’s like my place; and to anyone who’s shocked by my fine dandelion collection take heart, they’ll quit blooming shortly only to be replaced by the White dutch clover! The clover is something im very proud of and have it seeded into the entire lawn. There’s 3 other clover varieties seeded up into the woods edge as well.
Moral of the story, nothing’s dying and when i tell people “you can even eat the dirt” im serious!

We’ve got some warm dry going on right now which is perfect for the half dozen apple/cherry trees which are beginning to bloom.

Attachments

• IMG_0651.jpeg
    IMG_0651.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts