One Alaskans greenhouse

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I imagine that there is local news about moose killing dogs but, I wonder if the right dog(s) would be of help.

The neighbor reported that there was a moose in my distant garden in 2023, just before I arrived in the Spring. About 30 or 40 years ago, I had never seen a moose here but that was true of turkeys as well.

Steve

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Moose taste better than wild Turkeys, wild Turkeys are easier to process than Moose!😏
What does moose taste like? I've eaten black bear, elk, and deer, but not moose. Black bear was the most recent in my food experiences, and it tasted like pork with a bit of a wild twist.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My uncle was a logger in the far northern part of California. They were allowed 2 blacktail bucks each year. He had no problem bagging 2, each year.

I think my Aunt Alene was somewhat challenged to find uses for them. One thing she settled on was mince meat. You know, with apples and raisins and spices. Quarts and Quarts canned in their pressure cooker and the jars of mince meat would fill their pantry shelves.

This food didn't just go between pie crusts. It was served cold right on our dinner plate. Very tasty! Something I looked forward to on visits.

Steve

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My uncle was a logger in the far northern part of California. They were allowed 2 blacktail bucks each year. He had no problem bagging 2, each year.

I think my Aunt Alene was somewhat challenged to find uses for them. One thing she settled on was mince meat. You know, with apples and raisins and spices. Quarts and Quarts canned in their pressure cooker and the jars of mince meat would fill their pantry shelves.

This food didn't just go between pie crusts. It was served cold right on our dinner plate. Very tasty! Something I looked forward to on visits.

Steve
I remember eating mince meat pie and absolutely loved it. I don't know that I would eat it cold but it's possible

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Dahlia, Moose does not have much of a “wild flavor” some folks refer to. It’s a little leaner than beef, which it can easily pass for. Of all the wild things i have Red and Grey squirrels at the top of the list, followed by Antelope, Elk and Caribou - in that order.

Kind of a mixed bag today and were happy to see Asparagus coming on well. I’ve got plenty of Tomato’s hanging (some fist size) but if this cool overcast pattern doesn’t turn around i might start sautéing some!

Attachments

• IMG_2703.jpeg
    IMG_2703.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts