One of my buck rabbits nailed me

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hoodat, in your opinion, what is the best type of meat rabbit to raise? Not that I need any more projects, but hubby and I always have a dream list a mile long!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The old standbys are new Zealands (white if you want to sell them to a rabbit runner) or Californians. Both are hardy breeds with good meat conformation. If you want them to double as pets the Californians are slightly gentler. If you have a small family or are restricted for cage room Floridas are a good choice. They are essentially a smaller version of New Zealands but a good breeding pair is sometimes hard to find. Being smaller they don't need as large a cage. Rex rabbits (full size, not mini) are also a good choice in an intermediate size rabbit. They have good hindqurters and nice thick saddles. They are chunky and tend to be "meat bricks".
Remember, of course, that any rabbit is good meat but some breeds are meant for that so they put more meat on the table for less feed.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hoodat said:
The old standbys are new Zealands (white if you want to sell them to a rabbit runner) or Californians. Both are hardy breeds with good meat conformation. If you want them to double as pets the Californians are slightly gentler. If you have a small family or are restricted for cage room Floridas are a good choice. They are essentially a smaller version of New Zealands but a good breeding pair is sometimes hard to find. Being smaller they don't need as large a cage. Rex rabbits (full size, not mini) are also a good choice in an intermediate size rabbit. They have good hindqurters and nice thick saddles. They are chunky and tend to be "meat bricks".
Remember, of course, that any rabbit is good meat but some breeds are meant for that so they put more meat on the table for less feed.
Thanks so much! We are all about "more meat on the table for less"! :D

Latest posts