One Sunny Acre garden journal 2015

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
So the plot thickens... :eek:

DH went out and girdled the trees he was going to cut so they wouldn't leaf out before he got them done (less mess). He accidentally went one too far and girdled one of the other neighbor's trees along the line. Property line doesn't go down as far as we thought it did, so not as big a piece of property.

He went over to apologize to the other neighbor and she told him none of the trees belong to the other guy, that they are hers and she wants them left up for a windbreak. :confused: But they've already been girdled, so they're going to die either way. Neighbor says they are his and she's being a (bleep). She says she regrets selling it to him in the first place. Both say they're getting a lawyer. DH is caught in the middle, but she's not mad at him, thankfully! He told her he'd clean up what he already started on and leave the rest.

The neighbor who bought it did have a survey done and the stakes are behind those trees. He may have moved them for all I know, but I thought they wrap a tree with orange tape if it is the property line, not place a stake.

So, bummer, no free firewood. And smaller piece of land if we do have to buy it. Not at all worth $2600 for that little piece of land, other than preventing the damage to our home value. But on the bright side, she'll definitely not be giving him a right away for a leach field and he'll probably not be able to do anything with that land anyway. I feel a bit sorry for him actually. He made a bad move and probably wasted his money and he doesn't have much to his name anyway.

We'll have to wait and see what they want to do with the dead trees. If it is hers, she'll probably leave them up just to spite him. :\

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yikes! Those murky property lines cause so many problems. We have the seeds for dispute germinating on our back border.

Maybe she would let you have half the firewood if you cut and stack the other half for her?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
so sorry that hubby got caught in the middle of that.. that's one thing on our list to have the property re-surveyed, last year went around looking for the property corner stakes/iron pipes found 3 of them can not find the 4th have even gone out there with my metal detector with no luck...

ccheek

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love the milk jug idea.... just one more thing to hoard for next year and my husband to get annoyed by!:D I'm so glad he loves me!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My DH can't complain too much--he has his own clutter to contend with. ;) I kept a rope hung on a nail in the garage and just threaded on the clean milk jugs as I got them. This kept them manageable.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my WS containers on Saturday. It has finally quit raining and I'm hoping to get most of them planted out this week. You're supposed to pull them apart in little hunks, plant, give them a couple of days, then thin to the best one.

Back row is lettuce, spinach, onions. Next row down is all brassicas like broccoli, cabbage, mustard, bok choy, etc. Third row down is herbs (first time I've ever gotten lovage to germinate!) Front row is all flowers, the majority of what I planted this way. I have two bigger containers full of marigolds for interplanting in the garden that aren't in the pic too.

IMGP8977_web.jpg

My fava beans are really happy in this bed. Looks like they will be rather vigorous growers? The plants are very thick and sturdy looking, compared to the sugar snap peas on the right that were planted the same day.

IMGP8972_web.jpg

I finally got Ava's bluebird house hung up and we are eagerly awaiting some occupants. This post is on the corner of the garden, facing in. I am hoping the lower electric wire and the garden plants will give the babies extra protection against the cats. :\ I still have woodpecker, chickadee and titmouse houses to hang that my MIL gave us. I'm not sure where exactly those will go though. I only have one big tree on my property, the tulip poplar you see in the background.

IMGP8981_web.jpg

Two more apple tree shots, Bonnie Best dwarf. Loaded with blooms this year! I'm counting on some other crabapple or apple in the neighborhood for pollination though, since my other two died.

IMGP8987b_web.jpg

IMGP8989b_web.jpg

I forgot to get a pic of my flats hardening off. The tomatoes should have been potted up already, but I've been really pressed for time lately. Ava's flowers will get planted this week too. The weather has been really cold and rainy, but the forecast is looking up! DH is going to the Outer Banks for a fishing trip this weekend, so I'm hoping to get him to till for me before he leaves.

I got some more new chickens last weekend, to fill in for those I lost in the mail. A friend from church recently bought an incubator and has been having fun with it, so they had plenty of chicks to spare. They are a barnyard mix, but they are really pretty. I'll have to get pics of them too. The kids have spent hours each day hugging chickens. :)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's hoping the bluebirds go for curb appeal! :D
That birdhouse has curb appeal to people, but to another bluebird the painting says "this is mine ... keep out"! Bright colors attract predator eyes too. Just a hint ... Think like a lovelorn bluebird ... Paint it plain jane fence post grey / brown ( the more camo , the better security to raise a family ) to attract another bluebird family. ;)

Latest posts