One Thing Leads To Another

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, Penny (new dog, for those of you who have not kept up with my small dramas) whined a lot last night, and I refused to get up and give her attention. When I got up at 5:30, I found that she had pulled the living room drapes down, and pulled the right drapery panel into her kennel, through the wire. The curtain rod was bent about 45 degrees and the wall hanger was pulled part way out of the wall. I have no idea how she managed to do that. The drapes are sheer, but there is a wide heavy lace panel at the bottom.
DH was alarmed, to say the least. The lace part smelled slightly of urine, but not really dog urine. And there was no yellow stain. I hesitate to think why it smelled of urine, if it wasn't the dog. It was damp, but I think she had been chewing on it. No dampness on the floor or her mat in the kennel.
So I checked for damage and found very little, actually. Those drapes are tough! I did wash them, though, (they needed it anyway) then I had to wash the big triple window, inside and out, and take the screen down. Then I had to wash the screen, and the window sills outside. Then I had to wash the front storm door, as it had lots of nose prints down low. Then we had to put the curtain rods back together and straighten out the kinks, then put up the drapery and valance (nine different pieces of drapery!) while it was still damp from the washer.

So now I am wondering if it would help to leave the TV on for her at night, or at least a radio? Right now she is snoring away. I will put something between her kennel and the drapes, so she can't do that again. :rolleyes:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL I know its not funny but over the years I have had same thing happen a few times. Yes dog can get spiteful Pull her crate away from walls and put on bare floor.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have always found it best to keep the crate in my bedroom, with me. This way, if there is an issue- I can hear it. It takes a big piece of my bedroom-but I think it is worth it. I remember years ago reading that if you keep the crate with you in bedroom- it counts as "time spent" with your dog. Not sure how true that is...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, @Nyboy, I'm going to assume she was anxious. I'd hate to think she was lying there trying to think of ways to spite me, the angel who saved her little neck from the chopping block, haha.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does she have a blanket to curl up in in her crate? My JRT would burrow under his crate blanket so he looked like a lump of laundry. My BC X will even scratch the door mat in the garage up into a lumpy bed when I have laundered the dog bedding but not returned it to the crates the same day. I think some dogs just like a little extra fluff around them when they sleep.

Or maybe she is a "white glove " kind of dog and was just encouraging you to get your spring cleaning done. :D

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . . .I remember years ago reading that if you keep the crate with you in bedroom- it counts as "time spent" with your dog. Not sure how true that is...
I think it is true. WHile it won't could as quality time, it is time spent. In a pack, all the dogs sleep near each other. As the pack leader, it is natural that your dog want to be nearby.

Even when we left the bedroom door open, Cee Cee would be sleeping with us. She might get up and wander through the house -- more chances for barking -- but she wanted to sleep by my side of the bed.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh dear! Young dogs get into mischief, it seems to be their middle name. We crate several of our dogs at night. One loves his bed, the other chewed his to shreds and gets old towels instead which he respects for a while, then one day will chew them to bits. We started out crating one in the bedroom with us, where we sleep with an older dog in our bed, and eventually moved her out to the living room when she got used to it. I think moving her to your bedroom might settle her down as suggested, then you might be able to mover her elsewhere later.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Penny has started coming into the bedroom if I am in there lying down resting during the day. She seems to be happy (mostly) to lie on the floor beside the bed, but she snores and makes a lot of sounds that probably would keep me awake. Although maybe not as bad as her whining and rearranging the living room through the bars of her crate.
She doesn't have a blanket in her crate, just one of those pads with the rolled up edge, about 2.5 inches. I can put a blanket in there, too, to see if she likes that.
I don't think I'm quite ready to move her into the bedroom.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@so lucky I have never allowed ANY pet in my BR it is MINE! LOL
There is plenty of dog hair everywhere else in the house, I like ONE room without hair and the doggy smell, poor Will stinks. Even after a bath. He is just a stinky dog. :(
A friends dog was a hoot. ('cause Mo was not mine!) She could work the bottom out of the crate and walk it around like a turtle. ;) Once she UNZIPPED a couch cushion and SHREDDED the foam stuffing, never hurt the cover! Dogs *sigh*

Latest posts