OPINION NEEDED--FAST!!!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
oooh, just found this. i knew i read something happening like this about cars being bought, someone sending payment through paypal but as soon as it looks like it's gone through& the vehicle picked up the scammer retracts the payment through paypal (or it just didin't really exist).
https://craigslistscams.org/post/the-beginning/#more-1

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Go to your bank and set up a sweep account. Have the buyer wire transfer the money to your new account, which immediately "sweeps" it into another account, thus preventing the other person from transferring in right back out. It is done all the time in business. When the deal is done, close the account.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
ALL GREAT ADVICE!!!! I will delete the email chain, and we will probably report the scam from our Law Office phone#.
I like the new account. We have been banking there for over 30 years and they will help. I will report this phone# and make a typed copy of the conversion before deleting it.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, I read the link!
Thanks, All!!! :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs
DH (atty) says he'll deal with it, and not to sweat, so I won't. What got MY radar up was no negotiation. I have had offers before that were low and one guy even said he'd take it an auction and double it's price. I NEED the money--we have two trucks and one car and we need two cars and one truck.
Here is my ad:
https://chambana.craigslist.org/cto/6140605361.html
What the scammers are counting on is that you NEED the money and proceed without caution. This is exactly the scam that craigslist warns about. They know how to get fake checks that your bank will not recognize until it is too late for you. When we sold a van people offered cash but it was a couple thousand. I know nothing about cars but $9 thousand seems like a lot for such an old car. I guess it is a classic. If you exchange cash eventually do it in a police station parking lot. Most people are good but you do not want to meet the evil one.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just posted my 1993 Dodge Cummins, D200 on Craig's list. I expected some calls, but I got a text almost right away. Somebody in MA asked a few questions and then wants to send the $9k (asking price in my ad) to my Paypal and wants to have a mover pick it up.
I just don't feel right about this. Is is my age (59yo)? Does anybody think I'm silly to be suspicious? HELP!!! I am anxious to sell, but I thought posting it locally I'd get local calls. (61852 zip)

'don't do it please run fast away

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
He was, indeed, a scammer. We got a PayPay email this morning saying that the money sent has a hold on it and we are to pay $750.00 for shipping. DH reported to the authorities and intends to toy with the scammer for a few days.
I HOPE that this thread helps somebody else. I had a signing at 9AM at my office this morning and the couple that signed suggested posting on Yahoo on their for sale link.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my guys just bought a used pick up from private party. He bought the truck on weekend, the seller would not hand over keys or papers till her bank cleared the check. You can not be too careful now a days if buyer not paying cash he should understand about waiting for check to clear, if he has a problem with that RUN from him.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I was to sell some thing on CL I would only take cash. But I guess with high tech printers now a days even that can be risky. I just saw 2 woman fighting at gas station, cashier did not feel woman's bill was real and refuse to take it. Almost came to blows

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Guaranteed plastic will get here much sooner than later. If we would just neuter a few crooks, a lot of this crime would cease. There is no penalty to rob, steal and lie. Heck, we vote them into public office. So why should we be surprised?

Latest posts