Orange is the New Black

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've eaten the petals before. They're sweet, but nothing spectacular. Kinda like lettuce.

I've not seen anything about their nutrient content. That is what I would like to know.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I had to accept them too @Nyboy. There were thousands of them here when we moved in, pretty much the only flower besides dandelions. I think they are pretty when they bloom in large masses, but then it's ugly real quick.

I've always been going to try the flowers on a salad but then forget about it. Anyone tried eating the flowers or the greens?
No, BUT, I grew nasturtiums from seed this year. I put them in a flower bed and they are spreading!! I had no idea that they would fill in the space. The leaves are pleasant and the flowers taste a little bit like spicy celery.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought you were talking about the tv show.....

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am remodeling our kitchen. Saw a real nice paint swatch in a shade of very light orange that we thaught would be real nice. After the paint dried ... it was the color of CALF SCOURS YELLOW !!! :th A couple hours later I repainted it to a light coffey with lots of cream in it. ;)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wanted a bright color for front door. I also wanted something different then what everyone else had. I picked out a nice bright orange, all I kept thing after painting was Howard Johnson's restaurant. Live with color for whole week.