Orchid From Martha

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
It appears cat may be right about the overwatering. After a period of time, the media breaks down and no longer drains, and more importantly air can not get to the roots because there is no texture in the media. It just becomes almost like muck. The top may look fine but the interior becomes a sponge and retains water and prevents the roots from breathing. The roots need air and after you water them they swell but need to dry quickly. They retain water for quite some time and can tolerate being dry for a while. If you run the plant under a faucet water should flow freely through the container. Examine the roots and if the media around the roots is more like potting soil than orchid mix that may be your problem. I prefer a mix of four parts clean fir bark to one part each of charcoal and perlite. Commercial mixes are OK in a pinch, but make sure you rinse the mix before repotting the plant. I have over a hundred plants and water them only when they are dry. After a while, you can tell just by lifting the plant if it needs water. Also, you can gauge the health of the plant by looking at the roots; white roots with little green tips equals a healthy plant. If you look closely at the photo you can just see a little bit of green on the tip of root before it heads back under the media.

The photo below shows what the media should look like.

seedling.jpg

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
For those interested in keeping their plants alive and healthy I'll share a tip that I found works really well for me, though it is not all that attractive. I recycle clear food containers from the supermarket into orchid growing pots. I drill several 1/4" holes in the bottom and then use hot melt glue to fasten a 2" net pot, inverted, to the bottom of the container. Doing so really allows the roots to breathe and it is impossible to overwater the plant. Pots similar to these are available for purchase, but they tend to be pricey, mine cost me about twenty cents each to make. The clear plastic allows you to see what is actually going on with the root system and the roots actually love seeing a little light. To display the plant when blooming you can insert the plant and container into more attractive pot. For smaller plants I use a smaller container and place some clay pellets over the holes.

container.jpg

Latest posts