Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today starting to give up hope
upload_2018-1-20_10-21-7.png

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not looking very good. I still feel it is over watering.
Is the clay pot in a plastic pot? I would take it our if it is and let it get quite dry. The brush off some of the potting medium at the top. Cut back the blackened leaf. This is not expertise-just gut reaction. If it were not from Martha I would throw in the towel.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i know nothing about such plants, but if there is any green i suspect it may recover eventually. i'm not sure what i'm seeing on the bottom of those leaves near the base of the plant. is that fungus? it really may be ok even if it is, fungi are in the world for a purpose. but also, in this case, if it is, i'd second catjacks suggestion of taking the thing apart and seeing what is up down below. if the roots are all black,rotting and the core of the plant is rotting mush, then you're done. otherwise, if it is still firm and green and such, get some new potting medium (for that type of plant) and read up a little more on how to take care of it.

note that when leaves get damaged and die back the plant is recovering energy from them to make new leaves. once an area is fully dried out trim it off.

as long as the central core and stem of the plant is still green i'd not give up hope. it just may take time and only really start coming back when it gets warmer.

i dunno. <-- this is all from general experience over a lifetime of doing crazy things with houseplants and gardening.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat was only watered once weeks ago. With Christmas tree going up was moved to window sill. For about 10 days it was touching glass in below zero temps. I am sure it is cold damage.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat was only watered once weeks ago. With Christmas tree going up was moved to window sill. For about 10 days it was touching glass in below zero temps. I am sure it is cold damage.
Try trimming back what is dead, water a lot at the sink and let it drain out, brush away a bit of the soil on top. Mine do well in a west facing window. Maybe a little less light while in is recuperating. Just move back a bit from the window.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope so, i always give them away after flowering. This ones special

Orchids are the easiest house plant to care for in my opinion, and, they don't draw fungus gnats like other plants if you care for them properly. Once a week I soak them up to the brim of the pot in tepid water for fifteen minutes. This will drown any fungus gnat larvae that might be in the media, also, you can add quarter strength plant food at that time. This plant, for instance, came from Trader Joe's last year, $4.95, and has flowered continuously since I brought it home. They are quite happy in lighting conditions that many other flowering houseplants could not tolerate.

phal.jpg

Latest posts