Ordinary seeds and microgreen seeds

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Have you ever grown your plants from the seeds for growing microgreens?

My amaranths are from the microgreen sees, and they grow so well.
6035_0.jpg

So, yesterday, I Googled the varieties of other microgreen seeds and realized the ones for broccoli (Raab) and radish (China rose) are both heirloom varieties and have good reputations. I sowed some this morning - can't wait to see the results.
6237.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel that I have ... grown plants from microgreens selections. I just can't remember :) -- perhaps, they were the same varieties offered in smaller packets, more "in bulk," as might be needed for sprouts.

I do have amaranth in the garden that looks just like that, Phaedra. In fact, the very first "greens" for 2022 are on my dinner plate, right now ;). Early Dinner, Late Lunch - whatever this is!

Nice to have them and they make something of a substitute for baby beets, which are no longer baby. I don't know where the person who gave us the seed came up with them. They are really ornamental but we haven't yet moved some to the flower beds. They volunteer like crazy so keep that in mind if you haven't experienced them going to seed in your garden.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've done things with bulk seeds that are meant for planting large plots and cover crops. the grain elevators in this area carry mixes and individual seeds like turnips, cowpeas, radishes of a few kinds, buckwheat, etc. it is very economical to get a few lbs of seeds instead of spending money on smaller packets. the downside is that you are not getting a selected for gardening variety that's been nurtured, but you are getting perhaps a different form, perhaps slightly smaller or larger or something. i just remember one summer of going out back in the green manure patch where i'd been chopping and dropping alalfa and birdsfoot trefoil for several years and the soil was so rich that some of the turnips were getting up to basketball sized. i didn't eat the biggest ones, but instead at the end of the season chopped them into parts and buried them. the smaller ones were delicious.

around here beet greens have no chance in an unfenced garden. rabbits, groundhogs and deer all go for those.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Have you ever grown your plants from the seeds for growing microgreens?

My amaranths are from the microgreen sees, and they grow so well.
View attachment 50546
So, yesterday, I Googled the varieties of other microgreen seeds and realized the ones for broccoli (Raab) and radish (China rose) are both heirloom varieties and have good reputations. I sowed some this morning - can't wait to see the results.
View attachment 50547
Is there a good price difference for $/seeds?

Latest posts