Oregano how invasive?

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I’m planting oregano for the first time this year I was planning on putting it in large planter with several other herbs but now that I’ve learned it’s in the mint family I’m worried it will take over the planter. I know it’s not as bad as mint or catnip but how bad is it? Would it be better to put it in separate pots like my rosemary and mint are?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd separate it. It spreads by the roots as well as from seed and tends to form a large clump, getting bigger every year. In Arkansas I had one in my garden. Every fall I'd take a shovel and cut it back to the size I wanted plus cut the middle out and fill that with compost. I could keep it under control but there it was about the easiest herb to grow. North Alabama should be close enough to the same climate, I'd expect oregano to do well in spring and early summer. It slowed down a lot and bloomed in the hot summers.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Both Oregano and Mint, the wrinkle kind (Nana) we call it ~ they are easy pulled up and smell wonderful when you do, if you ever have to, these are both medicinal in their own way good for the lungs and urinary tract ~ Nana Tea, not sure what it's called, is use in foods especially Lamb, makes the kitchen smell great, taste perfect and is good for the digestion. allow them the extra welcome, they'll reward you and treat all that eat with you as special members of the family ```

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just to clarify I will be planting some either way. I just need to know if it should go in a pot of it’s own rather than with everything else in the planter.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear. When I said I'd separate it that means its own container. I know, do as I say not as I do. I got this Italian Oregano as a small plant at Lowe's about a month and a half ago. It was one of those fairly small plants, maybe a 4" pot. I stuck it in this planter with some Lemon Grass and the grandkid's fairy garden. It's more than tripled in size and everywhere you see oregano there are roots in the ground underneath. It is taking over. Lots of roots.

The lemon grass was a birthday present from the grandkids, they gave me one root and stalk, it grows like crazy. We don't use it but since it's from the grandkids I have to keep it alive. At some point I'll pull it out and stick a root and stalk somewhere else. I expect the oregano to grow like crazy and I'll eventually dehydrate a bunch off of it. We do use a lot of oregano (fresh and dehydrated) when cooking and when I make chicken broth. So eventually this oregano will have its own pot.

Oregano.jpg

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear. When I said I'd separate it that means its own container. I know, do as I say not as I do. I got this Italian Oregano as a small plant at Lowe's about a month and a half ago. It was one of those fairly small plants, maybe a 4" pot. I stuck it in this planter with some Lemon Grass and the grandkid's fairy garden. It's more than tripled in size and everywhere you see oregano there are roots in the ground underneath. It is taking over. Lots of roots.

The lemon grass was a birthday present from the grandkids, they gave me one root and stalk, it grows like crazy. We don't use it but since it's from the grandkids I have to keep it alive. At some point I'll pull it out and stick a root and stalk somewhere else. I expect the oregano to grow like crazy and I'll eventually dehydrate a bunch off of it. We do use a lot of oregano (fresh and dehydrated) when cooking and when I make chicken broth. So eventually this oregano will have its own pot.

View attachment 38959
Thank you. I think that’s what I’ll do.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
So I’m planting oregano for the first time this year I was planning on putting it in large planter with several other herbs but now that I’ve learned it’s in the mint family I’m worried it will take over the planter. I know it’s not as bad as mint or catnip but how bad is it? Would it be better to put it in separate pots like my rosemary and mint are?
Taking over does not even begin to describe it. Don't put it in a garden unless you have a place you want it to roam freely. Seems tame at first.