Organic Fertilizer - Mother Earth New Article

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This article is not new and seems to be pretty popular as far as google is concerned. But I thought I would post it for anyone who is interested.

I am thinking about using this to fertilize my garden in the spring. The only thing I have to work out is what will the the relation to the green manure I intend on planting this fall. But since my soil is relatively new and poor nutrient wise maybe there will be no conflict of interest.

I think I am obsessed about soil fertility.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Orga...01/A-Better-Way-to-Fertilize-Your-Garden.aspx

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is this similar to Compost Tea? I've been using this in my garden this year with good results you basically take either compost or plant matter and let it all soak in a bucket with water for a week or so then you just water the plants with it, i must say when using the compost from manure it can smell a bit, last time i did it i had the whole garden smelling like a farm, dont know if the neighbors enjoyed that......:lol:
But yeah it is really good for the plants giving them plenty of nutrients, which makes them healthier and set more yield usually.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This one give you actual fertilizer ness. Not sure how to explain it but here is the recipe

Mix uniformly, in parts by volume:
4 parts seed meal
* Cottonseed
* Alfalfa
* Canola *
1/4 part ordinary agricultural lime, best finely ground
1/4 part gypsum (or double the agricultural lime)
1/2 part dolomitic lime

Plus, for best results:
1 part bone meal, rock phosphate or high-phosphate guano
1/2 to 1 part kelp meal (or 1 part basalt dust)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
obsessed said:
This one give you actual fertilizer ness. Not sure how to explain it but here is the recipe

Mix uniformly, in parts by volume:
4 parts seed meal
* Cottonseed
* Alfalfa
* Canola *
1/4 part ordinary agricultural lime, best finely ground
1/4 part gypsum (or double the agricultural lime)
1/2 part dolomitic lime

Plus, for best results:
1 part bone meal, rock phosphate or high-phosphate guano
1/2 to 1 part kelp meal (or 1 part basalt dust)
Is this suppose to be organic? If so, delete cottonseed as it's a GMO.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got the cotton seed, alfalpha and Canoloa from another so call organic site. But read the article for clarification. It just says seed meal.

And not being a farmer but a city slicker I have no clue what a seed meal is. I did find that Corn seed meal is bad and should not be used because it prevents germination. If I led you in the wrong way I am sorry.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the recipe. Whenever I tried to read the article, my computer would crash. :hu I was curious what the recipe was, because I have had a real hard time getting kelp meal recently and one person mentioned everyone is making some fertilizer these days. Now I think I know what they meant.

Yeah, I would be wary of cottonseed meal too. Some cotton is grown organically, so there must be a source of organic cottonseed meal out there.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for this Obsessed... I LOVE motherearthnews... I get the magazine now. It only comes out 1 time every 2 months... I only wish it was more!

Anyways, I think this is an awesome mix... but I go with compost tea. I really need to 'lift' my compost off the ground and add a spiket. If you know what I mean.

colin

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello

Gardening was always a favorite past time hobby for all age groups. In recent past when space became a problem or constrain for urbanites, home garden, terrace, kitchen garden etc have become no one recreation medium. Here are some tips for making your home garden fertile without using any chemical fertilizer.
1) Earth worm
Earth worm is also called "Friend of Soil"; it eats humus, leaves, sticks etc which are left in the soil and make the soil clean. Earth worm digs the soil making it porous, aerated and fertile by its feacus which is generally in round shape. So earth worm is also called the prowler, it loosen the soil enriches the soil, thus help in holding more water in the soil. Therefore it is a must for any home garden.
2) Leafy manures
To make your home gardens soil Lome, light and fertile use of leafy manures is a mandatory. Making of Manures: Dig a hole of 2x2 ft , cut leaves in to pieces or used remains of vegetables, fill up to 1 ft height then cover with some oil and little urea on the top of this layer. Again add cut leaves on the top of first layer, then close the hole with soil and leave it as such till 20 days. By 20 days the leaves will be totally converted in to manure. After 20 days remove the manure and add this to your garden soil or in pots.
3) Decomposed cow dung
Cow dung when fully decomposed becomes good manure. Preparation of cow dung manure is similar to Leaf manure. First you dig hole of 2x2 ft hole put cow dung and cover the pit by soil and keep it for 21 days. Then when cow dung is fully decomposed the bad smell stops. Then you dig the hole, remove and add along with leaf manure to the soil. The soil will be fertile & will hold more water, soil will be loose and plants will grow well.
4) Mixture of Leaf manure and Cow Dung
While preparing pots or flower beds, you can use natural fertilizer like Leaf manure and cow dung manure. The percentage will be 50% soil 25% leaf manure 20% cow dung manure and balance 5% sand. Mixture of all the four above mentioned manure with some termite resistance powder in this. Mix it well with hands and then put this in pots or flower beds and sow plants and water regularly can have healthy plants or flowers plants.

Thanks