Organic Weed Patch Farm

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quality seed companies reject seed with contamination as that. You can't get it out. Company can be held liable (millions of $$$$) for contamination.

No one buys what u call hay from the south. What u call hay, we call grass which is only good for horses. Horse people don't want it because of weeds or molds. Best hay comes from out west-Idaho, Montana, etc.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
If this IS Azure Standard.. they don't sell seeds - that I'm aware of. They grow grains to make organic flours and other food products.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, even if there is thistle seed in the harvested grain, once it is ground into flour and made into bread, I doubt that the thistle seed would survive.
Those people worked for 10 years to get their organic certification. One spraying from the county would devastate them.
I haven't read the most recent article, but my news feed says their fields won't be sprayed. So I guess they won this round.

Meanwhile, in my neck of the woods, I guess my neighbors sprayed their fields, because my tomatoes appear to have herbicide damage again.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quality seed companies reject seed with contamination as that. You can't get it out. Company can be held liable (millions of $$$$) for contamination.

No one buys what u call hay from the south. What u call hay, we call grass which is only good for horses. Horse people don't want it because of weeds or molds. Best hay comes from out west-Idaho, Montana, etc.

What we call hay around here is fed to the cattle just fine and they grow fat on it just like any other grass or hay. Not many people growing hay just for horses in these parts....horses are a dying breed here and not many people keeping them any longer.

People haul the hay grow in WV down to FL where they sell it to folks with horses down there and they pay $10-$12 for a standard square bale for it down there, so it must be just fine for their purposes.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed Yes, your hay is better for horses than our alfalfa hay. Want to see cattle grow and milk, give them alfalfa hay.

You do realize you are comparing WV hay vs Florida? Except for oranges and irrigated vegetables, what's in Florida except for snow birds.....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know those horse people.....only the best grass hay for their babies. Alfalfa hay is for working animals.

I feed orchard grass, timothy and alfalfa. The old guy must have some thoroughbred in him because he's on the hot side and needs alfalfa to maintain weight, specially in the winter.

If you were to ask him I'm sure he'd insist he was a working animal...hauling me around over hill and dale. :)

Latest posts