Organic Weed Patch Farm

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes sis, anything you say sis......maybe the horse is trying to tell you something? :hide

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know it was our job to keep the tansy out of the hay for the cattle or horses
that was the only true enemy of them we had a 160 acre farm why do you think we found
az place that was 3/4 of an acre to settle :lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes sis, anything you say sis......maybe the horse is trying to tell you something? :hide

Now that you mention it that might be why I keep finding diet brochures tucked in between the bales...
sCo_hmmthink.gif

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
remember being in FL for a few months as a kid & seeing both lots of horse & cattle farms when there. i was in the St Lucie area & was in school for those few months. i remember being on a fieldtrip going through those areas a couple times. it could also have been when my family was going to see my uncle that lives in part of FL.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
If one has "pet" horses with an occational light riding , one will feed it out in a pasture and/ or feed it grass type hays. This type of horse will exhibit a hay round belly and therefore carry excess weight of the hay. The performance horses such as racing, hunter/ jumpers, etc. , you will want to feed alfalfa hay and grain. This will give the horse much more athletic build, energy, tight belly and less excess feed weight to cary. My wife and I just arrived in Bend, Ore. last night. We will be here until late Friday. Just a few miles away on the outskirts of Medford, Ore. there is sign asking everyone ... BE RESPONSIBLE -- CONTROL INVASIVE WEEDS ! This area of Easter Oregon has large commercial farms growing alfalfa, garlic, onions, carrots, tomatoes, cerial grains, etc. on small farms to the hundreds to thousands of acres. On the more hilly areas they raise cattle , sheep, goats, horses. Controling weeds is what supports the farm owners, farm workers , migrant farm workers, as well as all of the small town residents' livelyhoods. Not to mention the impacted lives of all of the farm machinery and transportation industry for the agricultural products. The feed stores and grocery stores sell these products that you and I shop at.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
here we have used goats to keep those invasive weeds mowed down. the power company that maintains the huge overhead transmission lines will put a temp fence for about a week along a section & put a few goats out there with a LSGD to keep them safe. someone comes to check them daily & see their progress but it would be more difficult for a farm to do this when they are growing hay that the goats love just as much as the weeds.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for NH. Excellent idea.

Now need to go extra step. Rent out this grazing ground and generate some $$$$.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's an operation around here that rents out goats and keeper for $175/day to keep brush and weeds down. They fence 50 goats into a small area and keep them there until they've cleaned it up good, then move them to the next section. I saw before and after pictures, and boy are they effective!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart owner but I do not want tax $$ going to this. Movable electric dense and goats are not that expensive.

Latest posts