Other than Agent Orange...

waqas5742

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I feel you, I have been in the same scenario a few years ago, you will need to kill everything and start over and that is the only permanent solution to it as far as I can tell the Johnsongrass is very hard to get rid of. what i did was to get two of the best weed killer liquids out there and sprayed it all over a week later everything was killed, rented a boxer scraper from the construction equipment rental company at HomeDepot and took everything out including better part of the earth, rented an aerator + over seeder from the same and started over... and all is well since then :)

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
At least you could run through it without having to worry about total skin coverage and a lye soap shower afterwards! But I'd rather have poison ivy than stinging nettle, too. We each have a weed that's the bane of our existence.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Try Grass Getter-it kills many different grasses and can be used on flower beds. I don't know if it will spare your wildflowers but, I THINK it will.
Cathy

mamaKate

Sprout
Reaction score
My former neighbor can thank johnson grass for his cattle farm. Because his empty, partly wooded acreage had the stuff, he was given government funding to eradicate it. The bulldozers came in and he now has a great pasture.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red Dragon VT 2-23 Svc 100000 BTU Weed Propane Vapor Torch Kit
We use a weed torch for difficult weeds. I don't know if it will kill it or just knock it down. Boiling water is the best for stubborn weeds, but looks like you have too much for that. A little at a time with something planted on top of it may work. Your extension service can identify it and see how it propagates. It looks like it may underground rhizomes which are difficult to control. Repeated tilling can do the trick but that may disturb your wildflowers.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've been using white vinegar with a little dish washing liquid to make it stick. Just spray it on. The acid burns up the plant. Works on just about anything.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a real issue with some sort of grass in my veggie garden. It must have been introduced with some compost I bought, as it wasn't an issue till just this last season. Now it's trying to take over, and no amount of pulling can keep up with it.

I ran across a write up on this product, which uses acetic acid as it's main ingredient, (at a very high concentration compared to kitchen vinegar) and is supposed to dissipate quickly so you can plant, without ill effects. I question the claim slightly though, and worry it make my soil very acidic..

This is bit of the article, the whole which can be found at the North Coast Garden website.

QUOTE;

"Removing weeds in vegetable beds

WeedPharm totally safe for vegetable beds
The manufacturer says that after 24 hours, any remaining vinegar will have evaporated from the soil and it is perfectly safe to plant even delicate vegetable starts 24 hours after application.
The weeds dont fully die in 24 hours, of course, so youll want to spray a few days ahead but its nice to know that any Weed Pharm applied will have evaporated within a day. Its also food-grade, so it s safe.
(Remember, if youre spraying in beds with existing plants, to be careful not to allow any spray to touch your good plants.)"

Read more: http://www.northcoastgardening.com/2009/03/organic-weed-control-how-to-kill-weeds/#ixzz2LkZXUyse

Anyone familiar with this product? Results?
Thanks

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Also wanted to mention, that I did try a pickling vinegar (5% acetic acid), with a drop or so of dish soap, and it did work for some garden weeds, especially after a second treatment. But... it didn't kill all of them..some bounced back after a couple weeks..grrrr..

Latest posts