Our best crop was weeds!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
In time you will recognize the different sprouts. Mark each row, even if it is with a stick. Your sprouts will line up in the row that you planted. Carrots are slower to germinate so plant a couple quick growing radish seeds along the row just to mark it. Weeds look like grass, the plants that you mentioned have a more lacy look.

earlybird10842

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
so lucky said:
journey11 said:
Yeah, what So lucky said. :lol:

Also, cilantro STINKS. :sick But I still like to cook with it from time to time. Just can't bear to walk past it in the garden.
Over on the SS forum, there was a discussion a while back about cilantro. Seems if you like it, you really like it; if you don't like it, it smells like bug killer or kerosene. We are two distinct groups of people. I'm one of those that can't stand it. One of my friends could eat bunches of it by itself. Yuck! Someone needs to do a scientific study on this. Where do we apply for a grant? :D
I read in the reader's digest that some people are "Smell-blind" to the scent of cilantro, so they don't tast it right either.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was really enlightening!! I'm surprised they didn't mention the effect of chronic sinus infections. I have trouble with that. Things don't taste right if you can't smell them.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
It happens when we leave a moonscape of open dirt between our vegetables in the bed. Nature hates a vacuum, so she fills it with weeds. :lol:
We all get SOO busy during the Spring growing season. BUT, if you can start lots of herbs and flowers inside early, you can transplant them and surround your vegetables with them. It's okay if the oregano in the tomato bed gets out of hand bc you just "weed" the extras, and oregano grows like a weed. AVOID MINT!!
Geraniums attract pollinaters and they are SSSOOOOOOO easy to grow. They tolerate some drought, and don't die if you get too much rain. So are marigolds. You can successfully transplant basil in the vegetable bed, too--who grows enough of THAT?!?
You make the herbs and the flowers your "Weeds" and it really helps. Also, clover will spread easily, and it's a good weed, bc it fixes nitrogen in the soil.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I couldn't get the link to work, and this may have been part of it, but I saw a really interesting thing on Nova a while back about taste.
If they blocked the nose, and poured orange liquid out of an orange juice bottle it tasted like orange juice. But if they asked the person to take a sip and hold it in their mouth while the clip thing was taken off their nose - it suddenly 'became' apple juice in their mouth (which is, of course, what it was). Weird huh?
They also showed that people can tell the difference between the sound of hot and cold water being poured out. Lots of other cool stuff too.
:p

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You could try laying down some landscape cloth over the veggie beds.
Poke holes in it for planting the seeds, or transplanting seedlings. This will help control the weeds, and make it easy to ID your edibles..

Latest posts