our fall garden

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
today is a nice day so figure i would remove the plastic off the veggies to get a breath of fresh air and dry out a bit, plus if the weather forecast is correct we will receive up 3/4" of rain tonight and be in the mid 40's.
figure it would be a good time to show the fall garden.
lettuce, beets,bok choy, green onions, leeks
DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

carrots and spinach
DSC_0007.JPG

one of the spinach beds
DSC_0010.JPG

brussel sprouts they range from 15" to over 4' tall
DSC_0013.JPG

parsnips have always had a poor germination on them, think i read it here somewhere to put landscaping cloth over them.... well it works
DSC_0012.JPG

and finally the kiwi harvest dang i was off 57 lbs..
DSC_0002.JPG

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
wow, nice haul on the Kiwi this year! i take it those aren't the sub arctic types?

if you need a recipe for kiwi pineapple jam let me know! i tend to use it more as a glaze on chicken and salmon but it is a really good jam when it is warmed up too.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, great garden shots. And I can't get over those kiwis. Do you make jelly out of them?
Majorcatfish, the TV led us to believe NC was covered in snow and very cold. Looks like your weather is fine!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That garden still looks pretty good Major. Love your brussel sprouts, I need to find space to try to grow them next year. Are your kiwis sweet? I don't like the store ones because they are tart. But I'm sure homegrown are probably better.

Mary

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Chickie'sMomaInNH @so lucky @journey11 @ninnymary @Smart Red
yes was very surprised on the amount of the kiwis only 5 pounds less than last years harvest, dw does make a couple jars of jelly also dries a bunch and give them out to friends of course we eat the majority of them. just might try making kiwi Daiquiris...
they are the hayward variety they grow zones 10-7 as for being sweet not now they are hard as a rock and tart it will be a couple weeks before they start becoming sweet

it has only snowed in the mountains but it has been cold here last week 20-30 at night, they are calling for tuesday night down to 18 it can snow anytime after next weekend by then will have all the leafs up...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@PhilaGardener built a trellis for them 12+ years ago planted 2 males and 2 females one of each died off at one end. they did not start producing till 4 years ago
had to threaten them will a chainsaw if they did not produce so 1st year got a whooping 15 kiwis 2nd yr 33 pounds 3rd yr 63 pounds this year 57 pounds. this is off 1 female, in a perfect world they say it could be as high as 100 pounds.
heres the trellis.
DSC_0003.JPG

over the years the 4x4 cross members have bowed in , have to rig up a center support so i can tighten up the wires then i will be able to do some pruning this winter, it's starting to become a mess in there.

Latest posts