Out of This World Brussel Sprouts

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Went out to dinner last night, no surprise there. Went to a place called Modern barn. I ordered baked Bass, which come on a bed of baby potatoes and brussel sprouts. Not really a fan of brussel sprouts I kind of picked over them. At one point I did try one and wow it was so good, I wanted to order a side of just them !! They where small and tender roasted in garlic, lemon and butter. New favorite vegetable. Ps they also had a pear infused vodka that was very good, @baymule any idea how to make that, your blue berry vodka never gets to sit long enough.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I hated brussels sprouts growing up, but that was because my mom cooked them to mush and then drown them in butter. I make oven-roasted sprouts, which are delicious. A local restaurant does them fried - but not with any kind of breading - and dresses them with a balsamic sauce. The other night I sliced them really thin along with some mushrooms & red onions, and sauteed them with a little (OK, a lot!) of garlic and drizzled on some lemon juice at the end.

So yeah, I've gotten over my hatred of brussels sprouts! :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
All mothers of a certain time, overcooked most everything. Serving dishes filled with unidentifiable mush were standard. Someone once said it was done in case family or guests showed up at the table without their teeth.

;) I won't apologize for not liking them. I grew lots last year. Tried them twice for dinner ... No, I'm here to suggest an alternative for one and all :)!

You know how you harvest a head of early cabbage and then stand there looking at the rosette of cabbage leaves on the plant? You got what you wanted, a head of cabbage ... well, take those old leaves off the stem. It will prompt the roots and stem to make sprouts ..!

I like to limit the sprouts to four. When they are about half as big as digitS' fist, they too are ready for the kitchen!

They are nice, tender and flavorful - more so than the head you took off the plant several weeks before.

:) Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yummy, we tend to just simmer until tender crisp and pour cheese sauce over them! BAD, I know. ;) I will be trying new ways to enjoy them as we actually got a nice crop this fall. :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a french bistro that makes them divine. They look roasted and some of the leaves are crispy. I asked how they make them and they said they're just saute in a pan with a little brown sugar. Well I've tried that and they didn't come out the same. :(

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Brussel sprouts! :sick My Mom dumped them out of a can and thought a glop of margarine was cooking! Blech.

Pear infused vodka, @Nyboy ?? I would say peel and core some pears, mash them up and cover deeply with vodka. Hide in the closet. Do a taste test, might need some sugar. After a few months, strain and drink.

Latest posts