Oven Apple Butter

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm just wondering... have any of you had experience cooking apple butter in the oven? I don't have a slow cooker and haven't had much luck getting my fruit butters to thicken into a nice, spread-like texture on the stovetop, and I seem to remember my grandmother talking about cooking her fruit butters in the oven to get them nice and thick. I'm staring at a huge toteful of apples, have lots of fresh pressed cider in the fridge, and am pondering my oven consideringly.

Any thoughts? As always, I appreciate hearing from you! :caf

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've never done it... but don't see why it wouldn't work.

In a heavy pan on a low heat, might take a while, but so does the crockpot method.

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Maybe I should be asking whether or not it's worth the extra trouble and/or energy output. Will the oven, on low heat, create an effect similar to a slow cooker, which as I understand it, creates a thicker consistency in fruit butters?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I say this... if you have the time and patience... give it a try and let us know how it goes. Its worth experimenting! :D

sherylreno

Sprout
Reaction score
I made pear butter this year in the oven and it was the best pear butter I've ever tasted. You can do apple, pear and peach butters all in the oven and it would come out with the nicest, thickest butter you've ever had.

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
sherylreno said:
I made pear butter this year in the oven and it was the best pear butter I've ever tasted. You can do apple, pear and peach butters all in the oven and it would come out with the nicest, thickest butter you've ever had.
That's what I've been waiting to hear! :celebrate

Now if I can just find enough time to get it done... :barnie

Latest posts