Over wintering beets?

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So how well do beets "overwinter" in the soil. Or rather, I am leaving town again till thanksgiving and we are sure to have a kiling frost before I get back. I'm sure we'll have a killing frost within the next month really. Will this killing frost kill all the beets and render them spoiled? The soil probably won't freeze till Dec/Jan since we are close to the coast. Just the cold wet air freezes up all the vegitation pretty early. Or should I just watch the weather from afar and if temps are thought to dip into the 30's, have my little brother go out and begrudgingly pull them all up and toss into a bucket for my mom to process?

CottageGardener123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Since beets are root vegetables, don't worry, they will do good in the ground even if theres a frost. I've done this many times and never had a problem. The only thing is, if you leave them in, you may suffer a few slug/snail holes in the beets. But, you can just cut those parts off. Root vegies sometimes taste better when pulled after a frost. Happy Gardening! :)

chickaD

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Each year I try a new plan with our beet storage...some years I "beet the clock" (as far as frosts) and some years not. We have lots of damage from some annoying little rodent that eats them if we leave them outside too long! :/
I've heard that some folks put wood shavings over them to help keep them from freezing hard when left in the ground.