Overwintered Geraniums

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
This fall was my 1st try at overwintering geraniums. I didn't pick the best, but used the last ones to survive fall frost. They where in a window box next to a heat leaking window. All I did was remove soil from their roots, and put them in a brown paper bag. Sometime in Jan I soaked their roots in a pail of water, for about 1/2 hour, then put them back in the bag. About 5 days ago I soaked their roots again, and planted in pots with seed starter. All 3 have sprouted green tiny leafs, I can not believe how easy it was. This fall I am tiring again, but this time use plants with best flowers.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aren't they tough plants? They look so pathetic in March, and then they bloom their heads off all summer.

I've done it a few times for a client. She liked saving them year to year because of the big root system they developed after the first year.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is perfectly! Your geraniums will start the season with a good start. And early in the bloom of sturdy plants. Interestingly, with this method it is necessary to rejuvenate their cuttings? If this winter old plants (2 or 3 years), as it can affect flowering? You will do the cuttings in the future? or is it for the same age from seed? As a biennial plant?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
If you treat them like house plants and get them inside before the frost/freeze, you can keep them going all winter. I've done it 5 years in a row, and I don't have YOUR green thumb! This year, I was so busy that the two pots got put on the floor of the basement, pretty much left in the dark for a good month, although I watered them, and they were leafing out.
I'm trying propagation next, because I love the annual red geraniums best. :D

Latest posts