Overwintered Geraniums

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Nyboy , I worked for an old English nurseryman back in the late 60's and he taught me his way of doing geranium cuttings. Cut straight across just under the node, with a sterilized sharp knife, remove the little collars on the node and leave the cutting open to the air for 24 hours, this lets the cut end callus over, this way there is less chance of rot. His cutting were never over 3" long. He struck all his geraniums in sterilized sand. I haven't grown geraniums for years, maybe this is the year to get some for my pots :).

Annette

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember my uncle who lived next store and had a greenhouse show me how. The coolest thing at the time was he let me use a single edge razor blade to make cuts. My parent would have never allowed me to use one at that age.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the bright orangey-red geraniums, too. A rabbit ate the one I was going to over-winter. Those darned rabbits were hungry last year!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
When one grows geraniums , at least at my ranch in Cal. , one grows es-car-go by the dozens . Here in Wa. , neighbors grow many types of snails by the bushel. NO more geraniums for me. :smack