Overwintered Geraniums

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I always feel terribble ripping my summer annuals out to replace with winter growers...last fall my wave petunias were so pretty, it just bothered me to think of throwing them out...so I pulled them from my pots and covered them with a thick layer of leaves...I had totally forgotten until I happend upon them today....they've popped back up through the leaves just as happy as can be. What a sweet surprise!

Attachments

• IMG_20160407_174840.jpg
    IMG_20160407_174840.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 197

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if Wave Petunias could be overwintered similarly to geraniums. Not hung upside down, but kind of forced into hibernation inside in a cool basement or garage. Maybe I'll try it this year. I have been impressed with the way Wave petunias reseed. Not always true to color, but vigorous seedlings.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I wonder if Wave Petunias could be overwintered similarly to geraniums. Not hung upside down, but kind of forced into hibernation inside in a cool basement or garage. Maybe I'll try it this year. I have been impressed with the way Wave petunias reseed. Not always true to color, but vigorous seedlings.
I'm sure that you could do it, but I watch how a light frost kills annuals at my house, and I recommend that you find a sunny inside window and just enjoy them throughout the winter. I gave a couple of wax begonias to a friend some 4 years ago, and she is amazed at how nice a houseplant they have made, getting really big and flowering pretty much all of the time Indoors.
Our garage gets too cold to keep tender annuals alive all winter. Just MHO. :old

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am hoping to over winter things that might be 1 or 2 zones higher in unheated greenhouse. No chance of tender annuals or citrus making it.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember my uncle who lived next store and had a greenhouse show me how. The coolest thing at the time was he let me use a single edge razor blade to make cuts. My parent would have never allowed me to use one at that age.
When my daughter and husband moved back here with son # 1 he was, lets say, a bit over protected. He was almost 3 and I would have him jump off the deck, holding his hand. The height was just a bit taller than a normal step. She would hold her breath and gasp, chastising me for letting him jump. What a difference a few more sons make. Son # 2 jumped down from the swing set, about 6 feet, repeatedly. On the 5th or so try he landed wrong and broke his arm. She barely blinked when I called her and told her my magic kisses didn't work, and I thought his arm was broken. Son # 3, who is 3, has to keep up with the others. I have to keep him from diving head first off of anything that crosses his mind. Apparently you lived through those dangerous times with your uncle.