Paint prices

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Soon to be Ex, hubs is a painting contractor. He prefers Kelly Moore and then Miller Paint. But their prices, even for licensed contractors is getting outrageous, along with the mandatory recycling fee. Customers just don't understand how much paint costs have risen.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
3 1/2 years ago, I painted whole house before we moved in. 1500 square foot house. Cost was almost $600 and included a FREE 5 gallon bucket of paint because the first coat alligatored.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always ask to see the 'oops' paint and try to choose from that. Sometimes I have seen 5gal of name brand that was mixed to a wrong color sell for $20.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
DD bought paint for my office. We plan to paint it in the Spring and on Black Friday, the $25/gallon (Dutch Boy) became $12.50/gallon at Menard's. We waited for 15 other orders ahead of us.
Most of the interior paints have the primer in them. We painted the other bedroom (now office) with this paint and I don't believe that we had to recover any spots. We Did remove wallpaper and prep all of the surfaces with patches--we painted onto plaster, you see. I Think we used a primer anyway. It is true that paint has gotten more expensive, but it is made better. If you change you mind about a color, but use quality paint, the next "paintover" will cover really well.
I Think if you consider that the paint that you do NOT use will sit in the can and probably get dried out, that can help you to decide what to buy for your project.
I went online with the dimension of ALL of the surfaces for the other bedroom and came up with the calculations that we needed 2 gallons for the job, still there was paint leftover. This bedroom is a mirror image, exCEPT, oddly, there is no door to this room, so I suppose there will be a few more square feet to cover.
ALSO, I am a sucker for mistints. People have a NASTY habit of asking for a paint color to be mixed, then deciding that they don't LIKE IT. I believe that they should still have to purchase their mistake, but most stores let them get away with it. Most of the exterior paint that I have used over the past 18 years have been mistints, which used to be dirt cheap. Not so cheap, NOW, but they Are discounted. I need to calculate the square foot of the hallway bc if I find enough mistints in a shade of white I can live with, I will buy them for That project.

Latest posts