Painted plywood floor

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone have a painted plywood floor??

My home is a doublewide on a permanent foundation. It came with carpet everywhere except the kitchen, utility room and baths..... cream carpet... :(
In the several years that I've been there, I've had MANY sick pets (chemo, kidney failure, liver disease, pancreatitis, etc) plus all the usual occasional accidents (coffee, Kool-Aid, strawberries, bbq sauce, yellow paint...., etc) and my carpet is no longer cream. In some places, it's not even something close to being recognizable as once being cream.
My great desire is to rip it up and put down a nice, light stained, wide-plank oak through out the entire house... but I have the budget to do - perhaps - one closet.
This weekend I heard about painted plywood floors. Of course, they were talking about intricate, amazing patterns and such. I don't want to do anything that involved - but the idea intrigues me.
I'm considering doing just my bedroom to try it out (that way, if it looks terrible, no one will ever know).

What I've been able to find is that I should:
1. pull up the carpet & any tack strips, etc
2. lay down thin plywood over what is most likely OSB sub-floor
3. sand, clean, sand, clean...
4. paint with deck paint - dry - repeat...

I'd LOVE to see some pictures to sort of boost my confidence that this not a HUGE mistake.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
That sounds like a good plan! Even though paint is so pricey, they make such Great paint nowadays, I'm betting that it's hard wearing. Sounds kind of like you are putting a veneer on your original floor, like on desks and side tables. Good luck with your project! :hugs

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The kitchen in the Westport home I lived in had painted wood floor. Paint was easy to wash and held up to foot traffic. I don't remember if it was plywood, thinking it might have been hardwood that was to damaage to stain.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We had to remove the carpet from the hardwood floors on the house that we moved from for the sale. Make SURE to wear gloves and be careful with your hands when you are removing those staples!! I had a lot of cuts and scrapes pulling them up! Are you going with the boards, like in the second link? That would look terrific and wouldn't be too expensive. I had a project in mind and had them cut me 4 x 8 pieces of plywood into 8 foot long sections at Lowe's. I think we cut 3 from each. I didn't do the project, but I kept the 1/4" thick plywood for another day, stored in the barn.
I costs 25 cents a cut at Lowe's, but you still have all of your fingers when you are done. You could cut those in 1/2 yourself before you start. Also, you can hand select the best looking or more unusual pieces of plywood yourself. It think you'll be exhausted when you are done, but then you'll do like in the commercial when the people got a new kitchen, and their daughter told them to turn off the lights and let the new kitchen go to sleep! Maybe you'll set up a cot, just so that you can enjoy waking up to the results the next morning. :celebrate

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The veneer plywood layers are very thin, so be VERY careful in sanding it. The veneer is often a soft wood so every heavy furniture or dropped object just may show up. There are so many vinyl /linoleum floor coverings I believe that would be a better choice and much less labor intensive.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my parents needed new flooring in their kitchen/dining area, we used that soft vinyl that looked a lot like tile. You really had to look to see the difference. I figured the vinyl might be a little more forgiving on old bones than tile would be if one of them fell. Fortunately it wasn't put to the test.

Latest posts