Pallet Chicken Coop....going up UPDATED: 11/28

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, Babygirl informed PawPaw that she wanted me to have chickens by April 22....for her birthday present.
Can't have chicken without a coop. Had a lot of pallets and window sashes laying around, so the brainstorming started. So far....so good. Looks like it just might work, especially, since I'm "flying by the seat of my pants" on this project. Here's a couple of pictures of the progress, so far. Will be updating.

6615_771.jpg

6615_772.jpg

Todays "work"

6615_773.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great start!! I love the idea of using pallets- a few people on BYC have made beautiful coops with them. Love that you are using the old windows too! Have you had chickens before? Can't wait to see the progress report!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nice start. I always hate the sight of pallets rotting away. It just seems like such a waste. They have so many uses.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep, lesa....had chickens 2 or 3 years ago.

You said a mouthful, hoodat........They don't get wasted, if I see them.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's great, Boggy! Some nice wood to reclaim on those pallets. I love that they are usually free for the asking and have so many uses. When mine start to get old and fall apart, I cut them up and use for kindling.

Can't wait to see your finished coop and the chicks you get for your granddaughter. How many are you planning on?

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
That's great, Boggy! Some nice wood to reclaim on those pallets. I love that they are usually free for the asking and have so many uses. When mine start to get old and fall apart, I cut them up and use for kindling.

Can't wait to see your finished coop and the chicks you get for your granddaughter. How many are you planning on?
Haven't really decided, yet.....probably 6 or 8, maybe.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great job Boggy..Whenever I see pallets, I get excited but my husband just keeps on driving and refuses to stop. He says he has enough projects already. Oh well...

Haven't lived outside California I'm not knowlegeable on some terminology. Does PawPaw mean grandfather?

Is that your granddaughter on the avatar Boggy?

You don't look that old to me. ;)

Mary

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Great job Boggy..Whenever I see pallets, I get excited but my husband just keeps on driving and refuses to stop. He says he has enough projects already. Oh well...

Haven't lived outside California I'm not knowlegeable on some terminology. Does PawPaw mean grandfather?

Is that your granddaughter on the avatar Boggy?

You don't look that old to me. ;)

Mary
Hey Mary,
PawPaw, Grandfather.....same, same (PawPaw may be a "Southern thang"). Yep, that's my "Babygirl" in the avatar. The pic was taken last Easter. It's me, Babygirl, the love of my life (Jimmie) and our son (J.D.)
Come December 16th.....I'll be 58.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see you've found some good use for fence boards also, BoggyB.

There are times, when fences are coming down everywhere! Then people load them up and haul 'em to the dump. Often, the problem with the fence is the posts and, maybe, 80% of the boards are still good.

Anyway, that's getting to be the problem with my fence along the west of the home lot. Three of the posts have broken at ground level during windstorms over the last few years. I've had to put in "concrete splints" to avoid more expensive fixes. Even the posts themselves are fine above ground and they also would be of use for something else :).

Steve

Latest posts