Pallet Chicken Coop....going up UPDATED: 11/28

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
YEAAAAAAA!!!!!! ALL done. Ready for da chickens.

6615_phpa02vcpam.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too cute! I love it. If you can get a couple Easter Eggers, I bet your granddaughter would love the colored eggs... When are you planning on getting your birds? I can't wait to hear about your composting adventures with chicken poop!!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow :frow :frow :frow

Great stuff boggy b,

You have done a great job. I love the re-use of all those materials...congratulation...... :clap

Now we are all waiting to see it inhabited plus the photos of your lovely little grand daughter helping you care for them.......she must be very excited... :celebrate

:frow Hattie :frow

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. It has been REAL therapuetic for me, especially, since the garden is "laid by" till spring.

Hey Doug.....Babygirl just wants chickens, ANY kind of chickens. I'm gonna try to steer her toward brown egg laying, dual purpose chickens. I want Delaware and/or Dominikers.

Hey Hattie, was expecting to have pics of Babygirl with the two chickens one of the teachers gave her, after school today. Just got off the phone with Amy (her mom) and she had to pick her up from school and take her to the doctor. She was running a 102.6* fever...so that photo-op is postphoned for a few days.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna try to steer her toward brown egg laying, dual purpose chickens. I want Delaware and/or Dominikers.
I bet she'll like either of those. I think they're pretty, as well as useful. :) I'm considering Delawares for a homestead flock too (to breed and not have to keep buying chicks all the time.)

Hope your granddaughter gets to feeling better soon. That ol' crud is really going around here too. I've had my flu shot, gotta get one for DD at the health dept--hopefully I'll remember this Thursday to get there before 2pm!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh its fabulous! You're going to have some super lucky chickens!!!! :D

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You need at least 1 Easter egger if you have little people. Nothing like her coming back with a blue or green egg on occasion. You'd think they found a 24k egg they way they cradle it and carry it in. By the way don't tell her either just get your flock of Delawares or Dominques and a single EE hen. Especially if you can get them all together and raise them together. She'll love the lone odd colored egg.

Imagine this....she goes out with her egg basket and she's collecting eggs. Brown egg, brown egg, brown egg, BLUE EGG!!! brown egg, brown egg, brown egg.

Trust me its worth well worth it she'll flip when it happens when she's collecting the eggs.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
You need at least 1 Easter egger if you have little people. Nothing like her coming back with a blue or green egg on occasion. You'd think they found a 24k egg they way they cradle it and carry it in. By the way don't tell her either just get your flock of Delawares or Dominques and a single EE hen. Especially if you can get them all together and raise them together. She'll love the lone odd colored egg.

Imagine this....she goes out with her egg basket and she's collecting eggs. Brown egg, brown egg, brown egg, BLUE EGG!!! brown egg, brown egg, brown egg.

Trust me its worth well worth it she'll flip when it happens when she's collecting the eggs.
That sounds like a good idea. With a little luck, we'll be going to get her rooster and hen that a teacher has given her.....this afternoon.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a great idea! :) My DD loves her 5 EEs and they are very productive layers too, giving nearly an egg a day. I've heard their eggs classified as "medium" sized, but mine are not...they weigh out large. EEs are so gentle and friendly too, as well as nice to look at. I'm sure if you get one, she'll end up being a favorite pet.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have my first EE's- they are just about laying age. If you think kids get excited by colored eggs- wait until you see me!!! I can't wait. At any rate, my nephews were here over the holiday and they loved the EE's. They thought they looked like owls! I guess they kind of do, with that muff around their neck...I am planning on blowing out mine, and saving them for some kind of craft project.

Latest posts