Pallet Garden

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna make one!

Ya get an old pallet

Ya seal off the back with plastic or landscape cloth stapled on. The bottom too, and sides if needed.

ya lay it down.

Ya pour compost over it and work it into the slots.

Ya plant it

Ya wait a couple weeks for the roots to make the soil hold by leaving it laying down

After a few weeks ya stand it up!

VOYLA!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's all vertical and is space efficient! I have a pallet. Will start the project tomorrow.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ooooo I want to see it when you get it standing up. I think I saw this done with flowers once.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Many pallets are treated with very harmful chemicals. I wouldn't grow food in them. Here's what wiki has to say about it...

"Discarded wooden pallets should not be used for fire wood or crafts unless it has been determined that the wood in these pallets has not been treated with wood preservatives, fungicides and/or pesticides. Various pyrethrins and propiconazole are common treatments for wooden pallets. In addition, imported palletized goods are routinely fumigated with highly toxic pesticides. During use, harmful materials or chemicals also may spill on the pallet wood and be absorbed."

There are good ones that haven't been treated by these chemicals, but they're not as easy to find as the treated ones. I agree that it looks cool and seems like a good idea, but the risk of contamination is too high to me.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will sure check the pallet I have! Thank you for telling me that.

If I suspect my pallet is treated, I'll get some wood and make my own pallet of my own design.

1iora

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Cool! Can't wait to see it. People charge fortunes for wall gardens you plant yourself.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sounds interesting, my concern would be once you stand it up the top plants I would think would dry out much quicker then the bottom ones.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good point I didn't think of! I'll make sure to add some dense clay soil to the compost at the top parts of it! Thank you!