Paper wasps?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The yellow jackets in the ground are nasty. As are the ones that build nests under eaves. I kill them on site. Mud dobbers, I leave alone.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
CAT_2019.jpg

The nest did not make it past last nights wind. Much is still hanging but big pieces are on the ground. These wasps are huge. Any experts know if they are actually wasps?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks like a bald faced hornet, you might check some photos online. Hornets are a kind of wasp but not all wasps are hornets. Sort of like a chicken is a bird but not all birds are chickens.
I just identified them as hornets and found out how nasty they are. My husband sprayed them. I did not want him to but now I am glad that he did.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are what I have in my animal shelters and my experience with them is that they are not aggressive. The only time I've drawn their attention was when I was raking beneath their nest and let the rake fall against the shed wall. Then they came out and bounced off my head to warn me off.

I like them as they eat a lot of stable flies. I believe that's why we don't have a fly problem even though I have a lot of livestock 40 feet from my back door.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are what I have in my animal shelters and my experience with them is that they are not aggressive. The only time I've drawn their attention was when I was raking beneath their nest and let the rake fall against the shed wall. Then they came out and bounced off my head to warn me off.

I like them as they eat a lot of stable flies. I believe that's why we don't have a fly problem even though I have a lot of livestock 40 feet from my back door.
It was cool so they were not aggressive. Would not want to disturb them unknowingly.

Latest posts