Pass the scalpel please Igor

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Several years ago there was an orchid breeding greenhouse locally that we used to visit. While there I would watch them tissue cloning orchids under hoods. They were using microscopes and placing small bits of plant material in petri dishes and placing the petri dishes into incubators. I thought: Good Lord, you must have to have at least a Ph D to tackle that.

Over the years the process has evolved so that it is possible to do tissue culture at home, so I thought I would give it a try. As I needed a sink and clean environment, I elected to wait until my wife was going to be out for a while and use the kitchen for my laboratory.

I used an opaque storage container for a hood. The storage container had to be sterilized with 90% alcohol, along with everything else used in the process, A small section of green growing branch tip was removed from a Mission and Pendolino olive tree. It was necessary to wash the plant material in detergent, alcohol, beach with detergent and finally sterile water. Rinsing was also required several times between each wash.

The sterile water rinse was performed under the hood, along with all trimming and placing the plant material into the vials containing the nutrient gel. The vials have been placed in a sterilized container under a small T5 grow light, where in a few weeks new plants should begin to develop. That is if I have the process correct, but if not I will try again, as I found it fascinating. It should be possible to produce hundreds, or thousands, of plants from a tiny piece of the plant.

Here is a link with more information, and youtube also has several videos on Plant Tissue Culture for anyone interested.

http://hort201.tamu.edu/YouthAdventureProgram/TisueCulture/TissueCulture.html

jackb

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
When your wife comes back and asked what you have been doing in her absence, you just shrug and say "Oh, just cloning some tissue, nothing important," and she starts watching you out of the corner of her eye.....

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
you need one of the shirts i got for my dh a few years ago. it has a logo and says 'Mad Scientist Union Local 42'. anytime you're 'experimenting' you need to wear it! :p

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Home cloning! I'll be doggoned!

...didja bring a mr cloner machine with you from 3,000 ad?

Actually, can that be done with any plant such as super endangered plants?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Home cloning! I'll be doggoned!

...didja bring a mr cloner machine with you from 3,000 ad?

Actually, can that be done with any plant such as super endangered plants?

I believe that is one of the primary uses, and also hybridizing. It is plant production on an industrial scale. When I was researching growing olives in the greenhouse I found a site for one of the largest olive nurseries in the country. Marshall, their greenhouses are the size of football fields, with thousand of seedlings in each greenhouse. The site showed them producing plants by tissue culture. Olives, as they live for a thousand years, do nothing in a hurry, so I thought that anything that would speed up the process would be worth looking into. My guess would be our friends at Monsanto are experts at this technique.

jackb

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
you need one of the shirts i got for my dh a few years ago. it has a logo and says 'Mad Scientist Union Local 42'. anytime you're 'experimenting' you need to wear it! :p

Actually, we have an embroidery business so I may put it on my schedule to make one.

Latest posts