Pass the scalpel please Igor

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat,
The Trust is a hybrid so it will not come true. I save the Tropics, another good greenhouse variety. They are available from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, and you get A LOT OF SEEDS FROM THEM. I always rooted the Trust suckers for later crops. I can see a good candidate in the photo you posted. I used to clone and replant the Trusts in July to have tomatoes for Thanksgiving.

I guess the last time I planted them was in 2016.

View attachment 25443

Here is a greenhouse grown tropic so you can get an idea of what they are like. Notice the thin skin, not like the store bought greenhouse tomatoes at all.

View attachment 25445

*drooling* nice tomater... :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat,
The Trust is a hybrid so it will not come true. I save the Tropics, another good greenhouse variety. They are available from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, and you get A LOT OF SEEDS FROM THEM. I always rooted the Trust suckers for later crops. I can see a good candidate in the photo you posted. I used to clone and replant the Trusts in July to have tomatoes for Thanksgiving.

I guess the last time I planted them was in 2016.

View attachment 25443

Here is a greenhouse grown tropic so you can get an idea of what they are like. Notice the thin skin, not like the store bought greenhouse tomatoes at all.

View attachment 25445
ooooooooohhhhhhhh. Now I am very excited. They only thing I worry about with cloning is bringing aphids into my heated greenhouse. The plant will go to the tunnel greenhouse when the warm weather is stable. I will got back to new seed I think, but make a couple new plants for the tunnel for the extended season crop.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@catjac1975 how is your greenhouse heated? And have you taken any particular steps to make sure it holds heat better above and beyond what they sell in a factory kit?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 how is your greenhouse heated? And have you taken any particular steps to make sure it holds heat better above and beyond what they sell in a factory kit?
My green house has no heat but, it is attached to the house and open to the house. It is a lean-to type design, so 1 wall of windows. We built it under one part of a wrap-around porch. The floor is thick cement, ceramic tiled, designed to hold heat. The ceiling and other outside wall are heavily insulated. 2 walls connect to the house and one door is always open o the house. The house is heated with wood. I do use bottom heat on my seedlings in the winter months. It is too hot now to use it. One a very sunny winter day I think it gets close to 100 degrees in there. Usually it is in the 80s. If it gets too hot I ope another door into my guest room. That room has a wood stove also. I used to run that for the first week of seed starting. Now I just use bottom heat. If you can attach it to the south side of you house it will save a lot of energy. I have a tunnel greenhouse too. I know people heat them but it seems like an ungodly amount of energy to heat. I over winter my potted daylilies in there and harden off my seedlings in it and keep a couple potted veggies for early and late crops. I don't do too much with that anymore-not much added growing time with added heat.

Latest posts