Pass the scalpel please Igor

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
As usual, I am finding that olives are going to prove difficult. Fortunately, I found someone to help me, she has a PhD and teaches micropropagation on a college level in Texas. Although she has never tried olives, she managed to find 4 abstracts pertaining to olives and sent them to me this morning. It seems I am going to need a few more exotic hormones than what I had been using. My instructions were for plants like African Violets. African Violets are probably one of the easiest plants to propagate. And, my idea of using plant tip cuttings is not going to work. It is a good thing I am retired and have lots of time to tinker. On a brighter note, I noticed that in addition to the Arbequina my Koroneiki and Arbosana trees are getting ready to flower. That said, finding someone to freely share their knowledge and experience with a complete stranger just shows what nice folks gardeners are.

jackb

Last edited:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Jack, have you thought about trying another propagation now? Maybe start 2 more each month for 6 months and mark what you did each time and figure out which one's took when just to check your work over time. Plus if month two clipping took and month 1 didn't take, you'd have 6 months of attempts so losing 30 days rather then losing 6 months to start over would be idea?

Just an observation! I would love to see how it works out for you. We'll eventually grow olives here. I'd found a variety that can tolerate our coldest part of winter since its so short, but will love the humidity in the summers.

Anyways, I wish you much success!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have ordered the hormones she recommended: BAP and NNA, my liquid rooting compound contains two also. While waiting for them to arrive my plan is to read the abstracts she sent. I read an abstract from Italy last night and they also used the BAP, NNA and a few others. I found a lab that will sell me the hormones I need, they are only a few dollars a pack, so I am going to pretty much follow the abstracts. The Italian abstract said they took 99 days to sprout, so it does not appear to be an easy process. In the meantime, I will let the ones I started continue to see what happens to them. Also, the abstract from Italy said success was sort of variety specific. Some varieties took, some did not. I am sure the professional growers have invested untold hours developing a culture for different varieties. In addition to following the abstracts I plan a few experiments of my own and keeping records is standard operating procedure in hydroponics.

Many growers in Florida are switching from oranges to olives. I purchased some great trees from Georgia for ten dollars a tree, delivered. They were nice enough to sell me single trees. Also, they are growing olives in Oregon, so it is possible to grow them cool locations. I have found the nurseries in different states only sell what can be grown in their area. As I am growing under controlled conditions it does not matter to me as long as they fruit early. I do not want to wait fifteen years to see an olive.

jackb

p.s. The professor just sent this email: "There will be lots of trial and error. Getting a clean culture is the first battle. Then you have to get it to grow. Keep me posted on your progress……………….carol"

Last edited:

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall,
I think I found a way to use meristem tissue by surface sterilizing with H2O2 rather than bleach. I ditched the first batch and used the H2O2 and they really look good. Adding food coloring to the gels lets me perform several trials at the same time. Also, I was watching a video on TC and the guy said he was going to release a kit for germinating and rejuvenating really old old seeds. Like grandma's 20 year old tomato seeds found in a tackle box. As he went through the process, I realized I thought I knew what his "secret" ingredient was. I had a seed from my "infamous" olive tree" that I have been hording, so I am trying that. Using a Dremil I removed the embryo from the drupe, processed it as the guy in the video, used his secret ingredient and planted the seed in sterile coir. That seed, along with some rare Greek olive seeds, are in the glass containers with aluminum caps. The vial forth from the left has a clone of Giant Redwood that is growing like crazy. That said, I have no idea of what I am going to do with hundreds of Giant Redwoods in New York. Science marches on.

jackb

p.s. Another expert just sent an email saying to remove the leaves and leave 1/4" of the petiole stub. I'll try that also tomorrow.

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
So much of this is so far over my head... but what I 'get' is fasinating!!!
Go jackb! Go!
thumbsup.gif

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
So much of this is so far over my head... but what I 'get' is fasinating!!!
Go jackb! Go!
View attachment 557

I agree, canesisters! At first I was hoping I could try something like JackB was doing, but the further he gets, the more I realize this is an area THIS WOMAN will never be going.

Still, it's great to have these scientific brains letting us in on all the info.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well Jack ... you could always plant them along a driveway, then in 900 years , you could use a chainsaw to carve out a tunnel at the trees' base and have a covered driveway . :celebrate

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jack, next time you visit the year 3094 can I go with you?

Actually, I'm wanting to try this tissue culture stuff!

I really think it could be used to help revitalize very rare and endangered species of plants.

Which kind of Redwood is it you have? Giganteus Sequoia or Sempervivum Coast? I have a Coast Redwood growing right near my drive at my cabin. The Sequoia Redwoods are the difficult to grow trees. They are picky about altitude and climate. If anybody could grow Sequoia Redwoods in New York you'd be the one to do it! (Just watch out for the dreaded and vaunted Secret Sequoia Tree Police!) (SSTP).

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall,
That is exactly what it used for. There are several videos on YouTube about it. I have no idea of what kind of Redwood the node is from, he said it was growing outside of his house in California. Here is a link that sort of explains it somewhat.

You are probably correct about the plant police, one more run in with them and I'll be bunking with Snowden in Russia.

jackb

Last edited:

Latest posts