patchouli, ok I am tipping my hand about my life in the 70's :)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL ON THE BUDS!!!!!!:lol:

that is a pretty plant I love the leaves ...thanks for posting the picture so I could see it! I do hear what you are saying and will give it a go then ..why not?

I have a couple of plants that are like that and really need attention ..

I think I will buy more than one to start to hedge my bets they will survive

what type of potting soil mix do you use? ok to start with a small planter and move up?

what zone do you live in?

questions questions :) thank you again great info

I love difficult plants and think of it as a challenge! no matter what and how difficult ..kids and pets are way more difficult ..and heart wrenching work than plants so

this will be fine :)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ps are the leaves fragrant as well as the flowers or just the flowers?

gotta run to work I will check back shortly and see what more info there is on this plant ..I am going to the coop at lunch and see if they have one

thank you again!

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We're probably somewhere between zone 6b and 7a depending on how severe winter is for any given year. I wouldn't worry too much about them surviving unless you forget to water for days on end , but I would start with two or three to hedge your bets. They will be fine in a small planter for a while but as I mentioned earlier, they do get root bound so it won't last you that long. Also a smaller planter will mean you have to water more. Any commercially available potting mix should be fine. I usually use hyponex or wal-mart stuff - just whatever is on hand really. The leaves are fragrant but not as strong as the flowers. You can rub them between your thumb and forefinger and definately smell patchouli. I use miracle grow on mine a couple of times during summer , more if the center of the leaves start to yellow and that's about it. I think I answerd everything :) Good luck!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found a plant in a local nursery last year! I was so excited- love the smell. I planted it and it did great all summer. I cut about 10 stems off, before first frost and brought them in to root them. About half grew healthy roots and I planted them. It made an attractive houseplant all winter. No special care or lights. The plant lost its leaves when I tried to harden if off for outside planting- but did not die. I stuck it in the ground and it is reviving nicely. I have not done anything special with the plant- but it is a joy to touch, if you love the smell like we do!! No reason not to try it, if you can find a source. If it can grow in zone 4, it can grow anywhere! Enjoy!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
YAY more patchouli smelling hippies out there :weee :weee :weee

ok if you can grow it in a 4 you are right I can grow it here we have a very temporate climate ..wonder how come those links made it sound so hard?

ok everything sounds hard to some people I guess...what you guys have told me sounds like it is tender but not a hard plant to grow ...

keep sharing :) this is fun thanks so much

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think in the links the people were trying to grow it in a garden situation and not in planters. That would be bad.I think anywhere above zone 8 or 9 it is only recommended as a houseplant because it is so tender to frost. You should be fine taking it inside during cold weather or growing it as an annual like lesa mentioned - just don't forget to take cuttings if you plan on growing it as an annual! Good luck!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Jlmann thanks I wont forget that is for sure ..I am a child of the 70's I know how to root cuttings LOL sorry I could not resist!!!

there is something about patchouli it makes me say dumb things :p

my kids used to tease me about the bath oil too especially my youngest who went through the dare program and they warned against patchoulli as a "cover" !

omg I really just like it! :)

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I found some plants at a fairy festival. I grow in a large pot outdoors in zone 5. In late fall I cut it all off and place in jars of water. It roots fairly fast (I think it is in the mint family with the square stems) and then have many to plant in spring. I also give as gifts. It is a novelty to most people.

I've dried the leaves but wasn't impressed with them. It seems to be the stem. I googled about extracting essential oils but don't have the time at present or the volume needed. I think the plant has a higher quality of scent than the oils I bought, which use an inferior type of Patchouly, thus the research.

Patchouly is easy to grow, needs more watering in a pot, likes full sun.

ETA not hardy in my zone.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When I first met my husband he used this patchouli essential oil stuff that for whatever reason . . . :love

Good luck with your patchouli project, HiDelight!

Oh, and what is the deal with snoopy neighbors? When I had my grow lights up in my bedroom for spring veggie starting, we had these older neighbors that would come by with their binoculars every morning, as if they were bird watching. AS IF. I'm just hoping they didn't see me getting dressed in the morning too. :rolleyes:

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
When I first met my husband he used this patchouli essential oil stuff that for whatever reason . . . :love

Good luck with your patchouli project, HiDelight!

Oh, and what is the deal with snoopy neighbors? When I had my grow lights up in my bedroom for spring veggie starting, we had these older neighbors that would come by with their binoculars every morning, as if they were bird watching. AS IF. I'm just hoping they didn't see me getting dressed in the morning too. :rolleyes:
:lol: :yuckyuck

:lol: HEAVENS TO BETSY, I hope they didn't see you getting dressed that morning either!!! :D

Latest posts