peanut brittle woes

happy acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So last night I tried making peanut brittle. The sugar mix never browned, but dried out instead? It tasted ok, but grainy (like sugar crystals) any idea of what I did wrong? Also someone told me a recipe for brittle using baking soda. I can't remember it, but if anyone knows it please tell me.
The recipe I used last night only called for butter, water, sugar, and peanuts.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmmm...going from memory here but i've made quite a few batches of brittle. Grainy...might be getting too hot too fast? I have made brittle and right at the very end, before you pour it out flat, added a little baking soda. Its pretty cool, it "aerates" the brittle sorta, and makes it easier to break, and crispier. I think it was a small amount...half teaspoon or whole teaspoon? Will depend on the size of your recipe of course. You can try and re-cook failed candy...i've had some success fixing things like when it didnt get hot enough or didnt get set up right. Good luck!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to make microwave peanut brittle, went looking on the net and found this. Looks like the recipe I used to use. It was quick, easy and fool proof.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 2/3 cup peanuts
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda

Directions
  1. In a 3 quart casserole dish, combine the corn syrup, sugar and peanuts. Microwave on high for 12 minutes. Stir in butter and vanilla, cook on high for 4 minutes. Stir in baking soda.
  2. Pour onto buttered cookie sheet; cool and break into pieces.

happy acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I may have to try that one! Lord knows this one was a mess! Not a total loss, my chickens liked it! :D

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may have to try that one! Lord knows this one was a mess! Not a total loss, my chickens liked it! :D
So chickens WILL eat anything! LOL
The recipe baymule posted is the one Dad uses. Good Stuff. :) Ooo my filling hurt just thinking about it. LOVE peanut brittle.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a stove top version that also has the baking soda in it. As soon as you add it, the whole mixture fizzes, then you pour it out on the pan and it sets up shortly after that. The baking soda is what makes it crunchy enough to chew without losing teeth. :D