peas are quiet

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
perhaps it is the high humidity even with the AC on, but normally when i'm picking the beans and drying some of them down in the box tops they will crinkle and some will even fling beans around as they dry (lima beans). not the peas, so far.

it is like Christmas in July though to be shelling peas and being able to look at them all. i planted a mix sorta jumbled together in places and then at the end of the rows i put in a hand full of soup peas that are very fun to grow because they look like fuzz balls with all their tendrils. these are plants that can self-support each other as they grow if planted in a few rows next to each other. even the one row alone managed to mostly hold itself up.

it does look like that peas that i was hoping to get some darker skinned ones back from seeds that were dark skinned did not continue that triat so it must have ben some kind of trait that was not reinforced by self-fertilization. it may reappear in some future crop.

the other fun thing i noticed so far is that some of the peas have a very fine lacy pod that is almost like tissue paper - so i've kept some of those seeds apart with and example pod for eventual replanting to see if the trait will continue. it's just something i habitually do now no matter what i'm shelling. the lack of fibers in the pods may indicate a real good fresh eating pod, but i won't know until i grow them again to see... always something fun to ponder. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Trish Stretton,

i thought the ones i planted were getting old so it is why i replanted them to refresh the seed stock. most of them sprouted and grew ok so i'm going to keep them and mix them with the next seasons' planting because i want to give away as many of the newer ones as i can. i've already got two takers for sending some out this fall/winter. wish i could easily send some to you too. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i also have to change my "quiet" to "quieter" because the other day i had some pods in the sun and they did crinkle a bit.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The peas I sowed must have been old seed cos none of them came up. Now, I wait patiently for the next round to do so.

for you that is what just a few weeks from now? lol i love that we are on completely opposite schedules as right when i'm winding down you are winding up. :)

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is a weird feeling to be watching people gardening right now and here I am stuck inside most of the time. I have been able to get out occasionally to do some clean up jobs. Cant do any more path paving in case we get a frost- makes the mortar split from the concrete rumble.
Yep, Hope they come up this time.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is a weird feeling to be watching people gardening right now and here I am stuck inside most of the time. I have been able to get out occasionally to do some clean up jobs. Cant do any more path paving in case we get a frost- makes the mortar split from the concrete rumble.
Yep, Hope they come up this time.

when is your normal last frost date there?

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
um.....it does change, but tradition holds that it can be as late as mid November.
To be honest, I have been remiss in not taking notes of these sort of things which is why I started a diary this year. It was mainly for the bees and flowering times, but I'm getting better at jotting other things down like when we actually have a frost, have to check but this year so far there has only been 1 serious one.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i always assume for some reason that you have a lot warmer weather than us, but if i add 5 to your mid-November that puts you in mid-May which would be colder than us by a few weeks.

we were out and about today running errands and since we were at the health food store i checked their prices for peas. about half the price of most of the beans they carried. this is the only place i know that has adzuki beans for sale and those are expensive beans. i still can't bring myself to buy them with all the other beans i grow.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've decided to buy a weather station so I can note exactly what temps and rainfall is happening rather than guessing or having to take a Commercial thermometer outside and hold it til its done it thing.

I got Adzuki for this Spring after I learned that it is more often used in sweet things. I'm going to have to get smart with my timing with my beans so I can keep some back for seed. I promised my son in law that i would try to grow them a years worth of Black Turtle beans and I want my Cannelinni again too...along with some juicy green type beans

Latest posts