peas are quiet

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've decided to buy a weather station so I can note exactly what temps and rainfall is happening rather than guessing or having to take a Commercial thermometer outside and hold it til its done it thing.

I got Adzuki for this Spring after I learned that it is more often used in sweet things. I'm going to have to get smart with my timing with my beans so I can keep some back for seed. I promised my son in law that i would try to grow them a years worth of Black Turtle beans and I want my Cannelinni again too...along with some juicy green type beans

if you have similar experience to me you may find the Adzuki beans need a longer season. they just did not do much here, but perhaps there are shorter season varieties available. anyways, what i found with eating them is that they are similar to lentils in texture so i really did like them.

Turtle Beans have grown ok for me here and i have at times grown a lot of them, but as a small bean you have to have a lot of plants to get a lot of them. since i am rather fed up of black and red beans (i have way too many red beans already to finish eating up) i've switched this season to trying to grow a lot more fresh eating beans of as many types as i could find to plant. they are now flowering and putting on pods i just have to be a bit more patient and then we can start eating some of them, but i have to be careful i don't eat the wrong ones by mistake. :) i want some of those saved for seeds so i can plant more of them next year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The idea and taste for sweet things made with Adzuki beans really appealed to me. @Zeedman kindly sent me some seeds, years ago.

I sowed and tended them. Small plants grew, bloomed, developed pods - late.

With fall frost, I harvested and dried the pods. The seeds were tiny, shriveled things. They had failed to mature. Interestingly, just a few miles south of here is one of the most important lentil, garbanzo, and pea growing regions in the US but I have real problems with soybeans and Adzuki beans may be impossible outside of a protective growing structure.

@flowerbug , I'm curious why you used the phrase "peas are quiet." You have said something about liking gardening because it is quiet. Is that the reason for the turn of phrase or is it more like "the brew has gone quiet, it's time for me to siphon this off into bottles."

Steve ;)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The idea and taste for sweet things made with Adzuki beans really appealed to me. @Zeedman kindly sent me some seeds, years ago.

I sowed and tended them. Small plants grew, bloomed, developed pods - late.

With fall frost, I harvested and dried the pods. The seeds were tiny, shriveled things. They had failed to mature. Interestingly, just a few miles south of here is one of the most important lentil, garbanzo, and pea growing regions in the US but I have real problems with soybeans and Adzuki beans may be impossible outside of a protective growing structure.

@flowerbug , I'm curious why you used the phrase "peas are quiet." You have said something about liking gardening because it is quiet. Is that the reason for the turn of phrase or is it more like "the brew has gone quiet, it's time for me to siphon this off into bottles."

Steve ;)

edamame soy beans do fine here if i can get them to survive chipmunk raids. this is a heavy soybean growing region. i'm not sure if i can find a shorter season Adzuki bean but if i ever do i will get them so i can pass some along to you to try. i really liked them to eat as i do like lentils. i've also had season length issues with some of the fieldpeas/cowpeas varieties that people grow further south and enjoy eating. i do like blackeyedpeas for eating, but gave up on trying to grow them. late season rains just ruined a lot of the seeds and i just ended up growing beans instead anyways.

in the past when i've harvested beans and dried them in box tops they often make crackling noises as they dry. some of them will even go as far as flinging beans around (Lima beans) and making pretty loud noises when doing that. so this year growing peas and drying them down in the box tops i noticed that they were pretty quiet in comparison.

but also, yes, in general i much more like gardening tasks which are fairly quiet and avoid loud noises if possible. i like to be able to listen to the birds/bugs or wind and wind-chimes. part of that is the balance with the inside noise levels - Mom will have things on pretty loud and music on a lot of the time so when i get a chance for a peaceful morning or day i enjoy it a great deal. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Imagine being able to hear the crackling noise of beans drying :cool:.

:)

At.Least, my hearing isn't as bad as a profoundly deaf neighbor that I once had. She dropped her keys in a store parking lot and didn't hear the clatter. Came back to find that her car had been stolen ..!

Okay, an audiologist told me, years ago now, "Steve, you live in a quiet world." That doesn't sound so bad, does it?

Steve
sound ... snicker !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Imagine being able to hear the crackling noise of beans drying :cool:.

:)

At.Least, my hearing isn't as bad as a profoundly deaf neighbor that I once had. She dropped her keys in a store parking lot and didn't hear the clatter. Came back to find that her car had been stolen ..!

Okay, an audiologist told me, years ago now, "Steve, you live in a quiet world." That doesn't sound so bad, does it?

Steve
sound ... snicker !

surely you would notice being beaned by a bean! :) it is not an unpleasant sound to me but it can be odd in the middle of the night if you think there might be mices around or at times we have squash bugs which can make noises. i am good enough of hearing to notice such crawlies if they are around.

i would not like to deal with profound hearing loss and am glad i finally got a computer which is quiet instead of sounding like an air-liner taking off. my tinnitus has calmed down, but is still there. so far Mom's blasting of her t.v. shows does not seem to bother me, i cannot ever understand how i managed to get used to it, but i also now sleep through my own snoring i guess. before i would wake myself up sometimes. that happens less and less now. i actually am ok with that part of this whole shebang. i sleep like a rock now and conk out almost immediately whenever i finally roll up my sidewalks for the evening... :)

meandering here... just one of those days... :)

i am curious how you get along there with the DW, do you use sign language or hearing aids or does she sneak up and bonk you on the head? :) sorry, i am not really trying to make fun, but one of our most common phrases here to each other is, "I can't hear you!" Mom has this habit of starting to talk to me when i think the conversation is over and then i'm back in my room where i cannot hear her if the music is on, or the t.v. or the microwave or the washer (which are all over that ways other than my music if i have it on). usually that is one of the first laughs of the day...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"I can't hear you!" If she simply turns where I can't see her speaking.

Or, "Are you talking to me?" Often, she has the speaker on for the phone or is walking around with it under her chin.

I will make wild guesses and repeat what I think she might have said. The wilder, the better. It's an eliciting technique that was taught to me by a linguist. If you are close to being right, the subject might just let it go. If you are totally and utterly wrong - an attempt at correcting is more likely.

Steve :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
"I can't hear you!" If she simply turns where I can't see her speaking.

Or, "Are you talking to me?" Often, she has the speaker on for the phone or is walking around with it under her chin.

I will make wild guesses and repeat what I think she might have said. The wilder, the better. It's an eliciting technique that was taught to me by a linguist. If you are close to being right, the subject might just let it go. If you are totally and utterly wrong - an attempt at correcting is more likely.

Steve :)

that is so good to know! i'mma gonna use it... thanks! :)

Latest posts